Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Malapropism

mal·a·prop·ism

   [mal-uh-prop-iz-uhm] Show IPA
–noun
1.
an act or habit of misusing words ridiculously, esp. by theconfusion of words that are similar in sound.


Malapropisms are a way of life in first grade. Here are a few I can recall off the top of my head.

Cabinet vs. Cabin
Ex. "I went to my cabinet at Red Lodge this weekend."

Disremember
Ex. "Where do I put my paper? I disremembered."

Blocker
The kids were lining up for lunch when one came over to me, clearly upset and holding back tears. When I asked him what was the matter, he tearfully explained that someone called him a bad word. I prompted him to tell me the bad word. He whispered, "Blocker" into my ear. "What?" I said. "BLOCKER," he answered firmly. "What's a blocker?" I whispered back. "I don't know, but it hurt my feelings." When interrogated, the little gal in question told me (quite exasperated) "BLOCKER - as in, he's blocking me! Geeze!"

The "F" word
Fart

The "S" word
Either "stupid" or "shut up"

Distinct vs. extinct (An oldie, but a goodie)
"Your eyes are very distinct!"
"What does that mean?"
"You know... like dinosaurs?"

And my favorite, heard today while discussing Halloween costumes:

Commando vs. Commander
Ex. "I'm going commando tomorrow!"
"You're what?!?"
"I'm going commando!"
"What does that mean?"
"I have a helmet and a uniform and all these weapons..."
"You mean you're going to be a commandER."
"Yeah! Commando!"

You can't win them all!

1 comment:

Grammie Perrine said...

I disremember stuff all the time... and "blockers" are the WORST! Especially in the aisles at Fred Meyer!