This year brought a few changes in ye ol' classroom. First off, one of my teaching partners, DP, was hired into a new position which meant she would be leaving me. DP was a lifesaver the last few years. She's a kick in the pants, she's willing to try new things, and she pushes us all out of our comfort zone. She is still at our school, although only part time, and only teaching small groups. So, at least I still catch her inappropriate jokes from time to time, and I know that she's using her expertise for good instead of evil!
So... how do you replace the irreplaceable? With an equally enthusiastic, fun, new teacher from a small town district! This is BR's fourth year teaching, but first in Billings. She wants nothing more than to do right by her students. She's eager to learn, and is pushing me to question my own methods - a good quality! BR is a great fit, and we're learning a lot together.
And now, to my favorite part: the kids. Oh man, if you could just SEE these kids this year! They are so. friggin'. delightful. Even the naughty ones are fantastic. This group is full of kind hearted, teacher-pleasing brown nosers... a beautiful sight to my work weary eyes!
I've got an equal split of ten boys and ten girls. Six of them have siblings who were in my room in previous years, which is great because it means I'm familiar with the parents, and they are familiar with how I roll. The majority of the class is already reading at or above level (can't claim credit for that one - almost daily I am inclined to write a letter to their K teachers for the groundwork they laid!). There is one voice that is so nasally I cringe every time she squeaks. There is one boy who cannot sit on his chair and spends the majority of the day on his knees behind his desk. There is a boy who fears everything - from the highly improbable possibility of him getting in trouble, to fire alarms, to scraped knees to forgetting his lunch. There is a girl who asks when recess is EVERY DAY. There is one gal who looks just like Matilda, and is so smart I am just waiting for the day when she starts levitating things with her mind. There is humor, innocence, and intelligence.
My first year teaching was the most incredible year of my life. Within one week, I had gained everything I'd ever wanted: I'd married Seth and I woke up every day eager to get into my classroom. The kids were phenomenal, and I never thought I'd have a class like them again. The next year, I was shocked to realize that I could love another group of kids just as much as before! But... the love was different. The group was different. Same thing with year three. Year Four, I had to work VERY HARD to love. And some days, I failed.
But this year? I finally feel like I'm back. I wake up every day eager to do my best to teach them something new.
3 comments:
What a wonderful post. I want Maddox and Jetty to have YOU for a teacher when they start school...so you and Lane need to coordinate (if and when either of you move)...
YOU are one of the reasons I'm confident in sending B to public school. Thanks for all your hard work and love!
Ditto and ditto! Your gift of teaching gives me some confidence that there really ARE teachers out there who are smart and love what they do. They/you are meant to teach and are phenomenal at it. I love these installments, thank you!
Post a Comment