Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Saturday, November 20, 2010

National Board Certification

This week, I took a huge step for my education and my profession, and a huge hit to my wallet and free time.

I signed up for National Board Certification. Having one's National Boards is a huge deal. It means I will be certified to teach throughout the nation, rather than just here in Montana. It also means that I will be deemed "highly qualified" by the best of the best in my field - a big push for No Child Left Behind, and a constant topic for those wanting to get rid of tenure. It means that I understand what to teach and how to teach it effectively. Only 85 teachers in Montana have achieved their National Boards. Only 10 in the entire state did it last year.

Luckily for me, one of those ten people is my teaching partner, Tiffany. Tiffany completed her Boards two years ago, and just received recognition this year after the rigorous assessment. She swore that even with the brutal time crunch (we're starting about two months later than most people), with her help, we can do it!

"We?" you ask? Yes, I would NEVER do something like this alone! Deb (former teaching partner now working as a reading interventionist) is taking the huge step with me! We've discussed it back and forth for a while, but it suddenly seemed like now or never. I think it is a good match - Deb will keep me organized and help with time management and deadlines. I will keep Deb from throwing herself off the Rims in a fit of frustration. We hope. The main section is due March 31st, which includes pages and pages of writing, reflection and research, two video taped segments, and scads of record keeping. And who knows what else, to be honest. The "guideline" was 77 pages long!

The main issue at this point is the time crunch. We're a bit freaked out about the lack of time. But... the director of Montana's National Boards assured us that "while it will be intense, it has been done" and he "will support us every step of the way." Tiffany has also promised her expertise and can get us started before we receive the actual materials in the mail (which saves us 2-3 weeks right there!)

The other issue is money. After the application fee, assessment fees, and other fees, National Board Certification comes to over $2,500. Which... I don't have. I will have $1,000 dollar scholarship from my Union, but after that... I'm on my own. It's going to be a bit tight this year. The pay off however, will be more immediate than a Masters. I will get $2,000 check upon completion, and will make an extra $1,000 a year once it goes into effect.

I want my Masters... someday. I hate the fact that Seth is "more educated" than me. It's that competitive nature that he and I have always had when it comes to school. But this is a start. It's cheaper in the long run, and it's payoff is more immediate. It's one more way to assure that my students are getting the best me I can offer. It's also a way to assure that I will not live in this duplex, with it's peeling paint, gross-grouted tub, and drafty doors for the rest of my life.

But I'm going to need your support! I'm going to be a crazed fool from now until March 31st. Will you stick with me?

5 comments:

aubyn said...

I am SO impressed and I really love this idea! You are the best of the best in attitude, teaching ability, logic and humor. They should hand it to you right now!
How ever I can help I will! I FULLY SUPPORT THIS MOTION

lanerdoo said...

I'm in! Whatever that means. You can use me as a guinea pig, emotional support, meals on wheels you name it, I'm here for you :)

p.s. ditto on Aubyn's comment. She said it really well.

Kayla Powell said...

Way to go, sis! I'm so proud of you for keeping so busy and working so hard- it will all pay off. You're pretty dang awesome.

-K

Grammie Perrine said...

An expert owl hat knitter and a national board certified teacher...my goodness you are one talented girl!

Addie said...

YOU CAN DO IT!