Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Sunday, November 28, 2010

A Rose by Any Other Name..

When I worked at my first daycare, the kids called me "Teacher". I never understood why this bugged the other ladies so much. They really hounded the kids, "What's my name? Miss...", and I never understood that. I think I just wanted so badly to be a teacher, I was loving the fact that these silly kids thought my glorified baby sitting counted as teaching.

As my college classes brought me into the classroom more and more often, I had to adjust to the move from "Miss Janelle" (at daycares and preschools where I had worked previously) to "Miss Schuyler". It was strange - so stiff and formal! But it grew on me, and I was really beginning to respond to my new moniker.

When I began my career as a "real" teacher, I had been married for three days. The kids would say, "Mrs. Wilson?" and I wouldn't even notice, let alone respond. I didn't even know my own name! Luckily, hearing it 50,000 times a day was a good way to get used to the new title. I had a feisty little boy one year who just called me "Wilson" - no Mrs. needed. It cracked me up so much I never really corrected him. I'm not CRAZY about the name "Wilson" - let's be honest, we all hear Dennis the Menace wailing "Hey Mr. Wiiiiiiiiilson!", don't we? But, having been a Wilson now for four years, it's become who I am, and I'm proud to answer to it.

Janelle is a really hard name for kids to say. It trails far behind "mama", "please", and "uh-oh". Seth's niece, Hannah, called me "Nells", and the name has stuck with his family. Seth rarely calls me Janelle - so rarely in fact, that it makes me laugh when he does say it, it sounds so foreign coming from him. He calls me Nells, as does most of his family - and I love it.

And my favorite? The one I know will someday fade, but am holding on to for as long as I can? Aunt Gajelle. Mason and Smith (who have a variety of bizarre nicknames themselves, if I do say so!), have dubbed me Aunt Gajelle. I LOVE being Aunt Gajelle. Aunt Gajelle reads stories, builds towers, crashes semis, wipes noses, and explains what's happening in Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. There is just something about the way they say my name, in those breathless, overly excited tones, that makes my heart melt. For some reason, Aunt Gajelle gets duped into doing things that Janelle would never do! "Aunt Gajelle, wanna hear the sound my potty makes?" Heck yes, I do, little fella!

I've answered to a lot of things: Janelle, Nells, Mrs. Wilson, Nellia, Nelliagene, Fred, Derf... but nothing sounds as nice as Aunt Gajelle.

5 comments:

Laurie said...

I too, love Aunt GaJelle. She is fun, but so is Nellie, and Nellie Belly. Nell Bell. Nellie, and all of those other names we seem to call you.

Addie said...

I LOVE IT. The boys are also quite cute.

Kayla Powell said...

I am very jealous. Give them extra smooches from me.

Grammie Perrine said...

Perhaps you love it because it sounds like Gazelle! A small graceful swift antelope with long ringed horns and beautiful face markings.

Grammie Perrine said...

or ANY name your sweet nephews call you sounds like gossamer, fairy dust and dulcet tones to your loving ears.