
Today we celebrate our mamas. If you know my mom, you know why I celebrate her. She's the most kind, loving, genuine, patient woman you'll ever meet. She's made every one of us "kids" feel like we can conquer the world. She taught us values and morals and faith. She continues to love without reserve. And for all that and more, we celebrate her today!
I'm also celebrating my many friends who are now moms. It has been quite a ride to see the transition from childhood friend to bride to mother. What a joy to watch them grow and change with their families.
However, today I also empathize with those who never had children, or who have not yet have the privilege of motherhood bestowed upon them. While I do get called "mom" at least 3 times a week, my babies all grow up and leave me every June. While I clean up vomit, bandage scraped knees, wipe teary eyes and comfort broken hearts, the hearts I mend don't really belong to me. For these reasons, I love being a teacher - it allows me to practice motherhood and unconditional love so that when it's my turn, I'll be ready.
To all the women who have mothered me: my sweet Ma Sky, my loving mother-in-law Debby, the women blessed to mother my beloved nieces and nephews, Gaaby and Reese, and of course my crew of girlfriends who never cease to love me and guide me and support me. I love you all. Happy Mother's Day!
4 comments:
I like this. Thank you for acknowledging all of those wonderful women out there being mothers to other people's children, even when they don't have their own. I know you'll be in perfect condition for motherhood when the time comes. I love you sis. I declare the second Monday in may Sister's Day. Happy Sister's Day.
You are so kind to your mom. Thank you. Love you.
That was a beautiful post!
You and Seth will be great moms and dads...plural?...
Post a Comment