Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Bullets

  • I received a hilarious gift from a student the other day. She attended the Miranda Lambert concert and brought me an 8x10 glamor shot of Miranda Lambert in a beautiful black and silver frame. It's now the biggest picture on my desk. I want to bring in some candles and light them so it looks like a shrine. Keep in mind I don't even really listen to country music.
  • MERC is hosting the Montana State Reading Conference this year. It'll be attended by hundreds of teachers from all over the state and several authors are flying in to be keynote speakers. MERC is hosting Sneed B. Collard III, and we get to go to dinner with him on Wednesday. I've actually met him twice already - once in college and once when he spoke at Arrowhead. He writes mostly nonfiction but has recently branched out into a few fiction books for teens. I'm looking forward to the chance to get my nerd on and have dinner with an author! I'm nervous for the conference; since I've never done this before and there are just so many things that can go wrong. 
  • I'll be presenting one session at the conference - I was forced to volunteer (seems to be a pattern with MERC, doesn't it?) Me and another gal are presenting together. We are talking about NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) for young authors. It's something I'm interested in an passionate about, but having first graders, have never tried it myself. I wish I was presenting with a little more experience in my back pocket, but hopefully my enthusiasm will win them over and make them forget that I've never actually participated in NaNoWriMo, I just think it's a really cool idea.
  • I made four hats for Holly Gannett Photography this weekend. She encouraged me to branch out and try some new things and I really like what came out of it! Since I wasn't following a pattern though, I hope the sizes work for her newborn shoots. 
  • I bought a purple coat from Costco. It's fantastic. I now have three purple coats -a jacket, a raincoat and a winter coat. 
  • I'm on a diet. I've never actually done a technical diet before - just tried to eat healthier for a couple of weeks at a time. This time I'm working with a friend who has had great success with this plan in the past. Essentially, it's protein and vegetables. So far I feel fine - full for the most part and proud of my ability to decline treats. However, in one week I've eaten about 6 cucumbers and 4 red peppers. I can tell I will soon be sick of both. I weigh myself once a week so I can't yet report on any success. One thing I was worried about when I thought I was pregnant was "Aw crap. I never lost the weight I wanted to lose - I'm gonna look like a tank." I'm considering this my second chance. 
  • Netflix has new episodes of 30 Rock, Parks and Rec and Psych. This makes me happy. We also recently got cable - meaning we can watch Psych this season on real TV. More happiness. 
  • Halloween is quickly approaching - I need ideas for a costume. Ideas?

5 comments:

Kayla Powell said...

'You bring the bullets
I'll bring the wine'. I like your bullets.
I like my wine.
Anywho, I remember talking to you about that writing thing a while back. You can be very convincing and have lots of spirit, so I'm sure you'll do well! As always :)
Also, try experimenting with new veggies...squash, kale, beets- that type of thing. I know they're sort of freaky, but you may find something you really like!
Love.

aubyn said...

you would have to be a smart person to remember all those acronyms.
Before the conference, put a little gift under each chair. That way, if they are giving you snotty looks, you can pull an Oprah and then they will think your presentation was the best ever!
You can microwave squash, like a potato. We <3 sweet potatoes, squash, and asparagus. Ingrid cooks rutabaga and mashes it like mashed potato, it is very good. She also steams carrots. Good luck with your food endeavor!

Addie said...

My new favorite is roasting things. Roasted cauliflower goes really quickly around here, and the shocking thing is that BLAKE even loves it. Cube any or all of the following:
potatoes, cauliflower (chunk it, I guess?), turnips, parsnips, rutabaga, carrots, kohlrabi (peel it first), toss in some sea salt, pepper, and olive oil. Add another herb if you think it sounds good (rosemary, oregano, and basil have all worked), then roast about 30 minutes at 350, flipping once.

Anyway, you are one motivated lady. I like it. It's inspiring. And I like Googling "punny Halloween costumes" to see what sorts of things I can do that will be funny and require very little of my lazy ass.

Laurie said...

You will be awesome, at the conference.
I think I would enjoy listening to your presentations. I think Kayla may be drinking too much wine. Have you noticed that too? I am not sure that the wig will work out for what we were talking about for halloween, I will try to remember to take a picture of it tomorrow at work and send it to you. Are you still drinking starbucks on the new diet? We may have o have coffee soon.

Mimi Salonen said...

Ahh this is awesome! Fantastic. I will stalk you even more!