 |
| "Carpet Time" |
I can hardly say school is off to a great start because... well... in two weeks first quarter report cards are due. I can't believe how fast the first quarter has gone! I literally just finished beginning of the year testing and getting centers rockin' and rollin' and now it's time to do it all over again! Luckily by taking my kids with me to second grade, we've been able to bypass much of the difficulties that come with a new school year, such as students testing me and me figuring out what motivates the kids.
 |
| Writing Center/Carpet |
I am blessed this year with four incredible teaching partners. It is truly a Godsend as we have adopted the new Common Core Standards this year, but the district didn't have enough money to buy new curriculum to teach it. That means that we have new higher, more rigorous standards, but no guide or materials with which to teach it. We're literally making up every lesson we teach, and it's been exhausting. On the one hand, I am trying to be grateful for the freedom; once we adopt a new curriculum, it will be strictly enforced, and we will have few chances to create and implement our own lessons. On the other hand, it's very difficult to make sure students are engaged and learning what they need to learn with no pacing guide or materials. My teaching partners are rockstars though, and have been nothing but positive influences with genius ideas!
 |
| My desk or "Office/Messy Area" as dubbed by a student. |
We also have a new Principal this year, which has been pleasant. My first principal was a very strict, serious, education focused man. I learned a lot about effective uses of time, teaching with fidelity, and classroom management. My second principal focused on student relationships and building a positive environment within the school. This principal seems to be a nice mix of both traits. She is seriously focused on learning and effective use of time, but is a firm supporter of building a positive school environment.
 |
| Desks, Word Wall, "Hallway" |
One of the other second grade teachers is pregnant as well, due two weeks after me. It's been fun to share experiences together and answer the kids questions as best we can about our growing bellies. I'm slightly terrified for my maternity leave, and am feverishly beginning to prepare. My nesting has shown itself more in school than at home. I am so grateful for the timing of all of this; my kids are incredible this year, full of enthusiasm and eagerness to please. I'm sure that they will do just fine without me, but it's still hard to say leave them in someone else's hands.
 |
| Facing front of the room |
 |
| Writing Center |
To prove how much I love these kiddos, I leave you with a letter I was given yesterday by one of my gals. I left the spelling intact. Not bad, eh?
"Dear Mrs. Wilson, I like your curley hair. I like it. It makes you beautiful. You are a vary nice teacher. You are just so perthect. You are kind of like my friend and my mom and dad too, Mrs. Wilson. You are the nicest teacher ever. You are so nice that I want you every year. I like your voise so much that I want it so bad! Because it's so nice. I can never stop listing to your voise. I think your going to ha? I wish I can have them so bad! Because there so nice I can't help it! Your baby is going to turn out nice. How do you get to be a really nice teacher Mrs. Wilson? You are the kindest teacher ever that I wish you lived by me. So much! Can I have you for 6ixs grade?"
Now tell me, how could I NOT love my job?
"To love what you do and feel that is matters - how could anything be more fun?"
4 comments:
That letter, oh that letter, it is Extremely cute and slightly creepy;) I love how you love your job.
It makes me slightly upset for you, and your kids, that you don't even have access to the new curriculum, if anyone can handle it, you can...still super crappy though.
Love the letter! And SO wish that I had a class full of kids like that this year. I loved my class last year and they were my absolute favorites. This year just plain sucks. Can't wait to see Baby Wilson!
I second Lane's comment. I think you are going to ha?, too.
I ALSO think your baby is going to 'turn out' so nice. Keep up the good work, sis!
Give that girl an A. She deserves it. Your hard work has paid off.
Post a Comment