Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Friday, December 27, 2013

My Toddler

On December 10th, my friend Jenn texted me and said, "Can you believe that one year ago today, you were packing your bags and heading to the hospital to have a baby?" No. No I could not. That text brought back a rush of memories: the disappointment and sadness about not going into labor on my own... not experiencing that rush of OH MY GOSH IT'S HAPPENING, and knowing that my body and my baby weren't ready yet, but also worrying about waiting too long. That very quiet "last meal" perscribed my doctor, followed by a final belly picture in front of the Christmas tree. The next day was filled with "Right now I was bouncing on the ball in the company of my loved ones smiling through contractions" and "Right about now, the doctor was breaking my water and sh*t was about to get real," and "Right about now I was getting my THIRD epidural..." and so on. December 11th was filled with all of those "Holy Cow" memories. Because on 12-12-12, at 1:42 a.m., I became a mom.

Hamilton had his 12 month check up yesterday, and true to form, he was EVERYWHERE. Though I brought a few books and his trucks, they were nothing compared to the cool things he could find around the doctor's office while we waited. He hated the crinkly paper on the bed, but loved the roll-ie chair. He played quite a few games of peek-a-boo hiding behind the bed in a pile of dust. He measured in the 50th percentile for weight, height and head circumference - "very symmetrical" according to his doctor. Development is on par, he's signing up a storm, saying a few words (still adamantly refusing to say "mama"), and has perhaps reached his "terrible twos" a little early. As a teacher, I am used to having 20 kids do what I ask of them... they wouldn't DREAM of saying no to me. So to hear my own child say it back with such conviction.... ooooooh boy am I learning patience. Not that he is naughty... he's one. He laughs easily and plays hard and loves his dada. He eats with gusto, cuddles for his bottles, and is starting to sleep through the night more often than not (praise God). He is opinionated, cheerful, funny, active, smart, sensitive, and simply the best thing that could ever happen to us. He has made Seth and I the happiest we have ever been. We. Are. So. Lucky. Happy birthday, sweet boy.









1 comment:

Laurie said...

It is amazing how a little person can look up at an adult who is clearly in charge but still looks up and says NO! Happy birthday to both of you.