Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

School, Social, Son

Some updates for you all:

School:
        Second quarter is over! Report cards are done and will be sent home on Thursday. I have a very mellow class this year, which is nice, and which also explains how quiet I've been about it. No major trouble makers (that includes parents!), no drama, it's been great! I'm still loving second grade, and am actually really enjoying our new curriculum and (gasp!) the new more rigorous standards. My kids wrote descriptive paragraphs about the seasons, and I was in LOVE with what they created. A few lines like "the taste of lemonade fresh from Albertsons" and "the smell of wet dog" stand out, for example.
       In February, I will be working on some special Indian Education for All lessons developed by OPI and a few experts in our district. Our literacy coach has practiced the lessons in another school to work out the kinks, and she will give me the lessons. Then I will teach them to a different class and work out my OWN kinks. Then... here's the kicker... a team of videographers will visit my class for two days to record the lessons. They will then be posted on the district's website. ACK! I'm excited to be chosen for the project, but of course I'm shaking in my Danskos at the thought of having a video of me teaching for THE LARGEST SCHOOL DISTRICT IN MONTANA and all the world to watch. Wish me luck!

Social:
      Kayla (sweetly) invited me to a Bible Study. I (naively) accepted. It's with a very well respected group of Christian gals... some of whom I know, but many who are strangers to me. Turns out, it's a "Precept" where you really dig into "The WORD" rather than reading about The Word. It's a lot of homework, and a little overwhelming, but I'm glad to be a part of something "churchy" again. I remember that *feeling* of hanging out with all my church friends in middle school, and I loved that fellowship. I'm hoping to get back into that.
      A group of us have resumed Knitting Night. Whether or not we have a project, we try to meet, have some wine, and chat about the big and the little stuff. It happens maybe once a month, but it's SO good to be with my gals.

Son:
    You didn't really think I'd let you get away without a Hamilton update, did you?!? Hamilton is. a . nut. A running, crying, laughing, screaming, climbing, wrestling, yelling, kissing, hugging, nut. I love him so much. He can "talk" as far as I'm concerned, though I think Seth and I may be the only ones who understand him. According to us, he can say no, up, dada, mama, banana, milk, truck, outside, help, and downstairs. Of course... most them sound like "Uh, Ah, Ma, Na, Mi, Tck, atsa, ap, and daw." But, ya know... whatever. We have an understanding. He LOVES being outside. After daycare I let him run around outside until his hands turn blue. He marches up and down the street, throws rocks and digs with sticks. He is now giving hugs and cuddles on demand and is just so much fun.


1 comment:

Laurie said...

I love that shirt of Hamilton's and am very proud of your new teaching project! You will do great. Love you. That boy of yours sure is cute.