Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Thoughts on Teaching Lately

1. I dropped off Hamilton in the church nursery a couple of weeks ago, and he didn't even look back at me. Didn't say goodbye, didn't holler, didn't whine. Just waddled away toward the trucks. Meanwhile, I put him into the arms of a complete stranger, with nothing more than a "receipt" and a pager, should he suddenly notice I left him. As I sat in the sanctuary, I began to think, "What did I just do? I don't know any of those people. They could be mean. They could be cruel. They could be dirty. They could be felons! He's in there a whole hour... how could I leave him with strangers?" Deep down, I know they are screened and probably have kids in the nursery themselves, and I know Hamilton is fine there. BUT... it made me realize why all those parents have so much trouble letting their child go on the first day of school. I always chuckled at them... tearing up, waving goodbye, fixing hair bows and back packs one more time. I have the kids turn to parents, say "I love you!" and we head inside. I never realized that THOSE PEOPLE DON'T KNOW ME. They are sending their baby, their most prized possession to a stranger. They don't know if I am mean, cruel, dirty, or a felon (I'll never tell!). They don't know that I've stayed up all night waiting to meet their kids with nervous anticipation. They don't know that I spent weeks putting their baby's name on name tags, notebooks, posters, cubbies, mailboxes, and more. They don't know that I already love their kid, sight unseen. And they aren't sending them away for an hour. They are trusting me for nine months. It really gave me a lot of empathy. I used to think those parents were just nuts. Now I know they just love their babies.

2. Common Core is not from the devil. Nor is it a left wing propaganda strategy to brainwash our youth to disregard American and Christian values. It IS however a set of rigorous standards that hold teachers and kids accountable for learning what they need to know and making sure students leave schools college and career ready. It IS a set of standards that assure that when a kid moves from California to Montana, they won't have massive holes in their education. I can't believe all the misinformation floating around out there. It's getting pretty ridiculous. Lately I've felt like I have to defend my job at every turn. Please just make sure you're getting information from both sides. There are a lot of ridiculous "test questions" I've heard that are in no way related to Common Core. If you're wondering, read them yourself! You can find them on the BPS website, or email me and I'll send you a link. But don't make me feel like a bad person for teaching kids how to read, write, and do math. My job is hard enough without you implying I'm indoctrinating our youth with Nazi values. I'm a smart gal with solid morals and values, and I've got this. Thanks.

Whew, sorry. That won't happen again.

3. Remember my darling from the last two years? She had a really rough go again this year, spending lots of time in the office for bullying, defiance, refusing to do her work, talking back, etc. She even got kicked out of her daycare. For ever. My heart was breaking for her, and they were looking for a "better placement" for her. Then, something just clicked. It's been a great couple of months, she's cheerful and happy after school when she reports about her day to me, and she made me a scarf. Crocheted me a scarf herself! I don't know what changed, I don't know if it will last, but for now I will rejoice in her growth and keep on praying!

4. I'm so lucky to be a teacher. I love my job. I never know what the day will hold, but it's always got something fun and hilarious. Every nine months I get a clean slate. And I get summers to refresh, rejoice, and play with my boy. What could be better?

1 comment:

Laurie said...

You left him the church nursery again AND this time he did cry. I know you have mixed emotions on that! He is a sweetie pie. And you are a good teacher and mama!
Love you