Yesterday morning I checked my email from school only to discover that someone had crashed into Arrowhead Elementary around 3:30 that morning. The driver is still missing, and three passengers were found wandering around "extremely intoxicated". The car hit the school's main water line, causing 1/3 of the school to flood. There was at least six inches of standing water on the Southwest side of the school, including the art room, computer lab, gym/cafeteria, and five classrooms.
Luckily (for me), my classroom is on the other side of the building and was not affected. However, my room just had new carpet put in, and I have been anxiously waiting to get in there to put it back together until that was finished. I went in on Monday and none of my big furniture had been moved back yet, so there was nothing I could do. I planned to go in Tuesday and work hard this week before heading to Wisconsin on Monday.
Now that this has happened, we have been asked to stay away from the school until it is deemed structurally sound (they may have to replace that entire brick wall, and are tearing out Sheetrock to prevent mold), and so the workers have room to move without us being underfoot.
Now it looks like I won't be in there until after Wisconsin, which puts me in AUGUST! I plan on going to Pocatello with Seth for a bit before school starts which gives me about 15 days before school starts to put my classroom together. AAACK. I know it can be done (as I was hired a week before school started), but I was really looking forward to not rebuilding from the ground up for once this year... then I found out I was getting carpet. When it rains, it pours.

And let me get back to the idiot (without insurance, mind you) that crashed into the school. Arrowhead is not exactly "in the way" - it's on a dead end street. Thank God school was not in session, and they didn't hit a gas line. I'm just appalled my some people's actions. The fact that the driver is still missing is mind boggling to me. I'm wondering what the repercussions will be. The passengers in the car were in their 30's and 50's - this wasn't some drunk teenager. I'm sure the school will be well covered by insurance, but I hope the idiot spends the rest of his life working off his debt. He's lucky it wasn't another car or a pedestrian he hit. On a brighter note, Arrowhead's principal has been working hard the last couple of years to replace our disgusting orange tile floor in the gym. Many of the classrooms on that side of the building still have the nasty orange carpet to match. Hopefully this little "incident" will hurry the renovations along, and something good will come out of all the hassle.
1 comment:
Pontiac. enough said.
Post a Comment