Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

She's WHAT?!?

Engaged!

That's right, Kayla, my little sister is getting married. I know. Take a deep breath. I had to. I had to take several. Actually, Seth had to tell me to relax, and my mom told me that when she found out she thought, "Janelle is going to crap her pants." Which is, I think, the only time I have ever heard my mother say the word "crap".
Kayla and Jody have been dating for... um... well... a while? Kayla is always so hush-hush-private about her personal life that even though we all assumed she was "into" the guy with whom she kept having hour long phone conversations, she was always very casual about it. "Oh, just a friend," she'd reply when we pried.
Until maybe a year ago when suddenly she packed up her things, flew to Phoenix and jumped out of a plane with him. Then Jody came to Billings for a while (he is in the Navy), and even made a trip to Bozeman for Addie's wedding. That's where most of us met Jody for the first time. My first impression: genuine, funny, polite, respectful, and VERY interested in Kayla. When he left, I was so sad for Kayla, I almost cried for her (Kayla doesn't cry, you know). However, he DID talk my sister into jumping out of a plane, so there was that issue to deal with.
Jody continued his deployment (Africa? Pirates? Sorry, fuzzy on details here), and the two continued their LDR. Jody met the WHOLE family during Thanksgiving and Christmas, and we bonded over Loaded Questions and Taboo. I knew things were serious, I knew they (gasp!) loved each other, I assumed they would SOMEDAY get (gasp) married, but...
Now?!? Yup, no time like the present. Jody surprised Kayla and few into town last weekend. He had a friend help lure little Kayla away for the morning. Then she headed to the Rims with her roommate Casey to take pictures. Once there, they followed a bouquet of tulips, where she was shocked to see Jody! He got down on one knee (gasp!) and asked her to spend the rest of her life with him.
It's all very exciting, all very surprising, all very... strange. I mean, do you know how hard I have had to work to refrain from making any jokes about her age and size?!? I'm exhausted! But truly, no matter what age, Kayla is a smart, responsible, quietly passionate WOMAN (gasp!), and she's picked a wonderful with whom to spend the rest of her life.

Welcome to the family, Jody!


5 comments:

Addie said...

LOVELY. That sums up how I feel (though less intensely) to a tee. Thrilled for them, though I've not met Jody, but trying very hard not to joke about her age! Because that's not very kind or supporting, and as almost-family, I feel I really must land solidly on kind and supporting. Congratulations all around - Jody sounds like a stand-up guy, and I love the pictures. Very sweet and tender.

aubyn said...

I think this is neat. There are as many different love stories as there are people!
Kayla is quite a catch so Jody must be a great guy!
Congratulations to them!

lanerdoo said...

WOOHOO! That is so exciting! I'm ashamed to admit, I don't even know how old Kayla is, but she must be old enough to know her own heart.

Laurie said...

I think that you summed it up very well. And I will try to watch my colorful language from now on.Love you.

Anonymous said...

It's a crazy, crazy feeling to watch your little sister get married and (gasp!) have a baby.
I'm super-excited for Kayla and Jody and wish them the best!