Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Chico de Mayo

Last weekend, the stars aligned. Karen was in town from California, Holly was in town from Delaware, and Jenn, Aubyn and I were all available. We made reservations for my favorite girlfriend getaway, Chico Hot Springs.

We went up a bit late in the day so I could spend the day with Seth, who drove in the night before. Once we arrived, we wasted no time reliving our youth. There is nothing quite like a chilly drink to compliment the "hot wada" of Chico.

We floated, laughed and reconnected until they began to drain the pool. After rallying, we headed over to the Saloon for some Live! Music! and to quench our apparently insatiable thirst for colored drinks you can down in one gulp. When we weren't laughing, apologizing to Jenn, or "dancing", we were photobombing! I'm sure we were the LEAST subtle photobombers to ever strike, but we didn't give a hoot.

The next morning, Jenn and I awoke fairly early and, feeling rather spritely considering the night's endeavors, left the other gals to sleep it off. We sat by the fire and drank an inordinate amount of coffee while reading the paper (where I saw my sister's engagement photo!) and discussing the fears of becoming parents, the joys of our friendships, and the loves of our lives. When Jenn's little fetus couldn't take it any longer, we woke up the gals for a sensational breakfast and the chance to regale each other with stories of the night before. Which is funny, when you think about it, because we were all THERE, but... there we sat, retelling stories like we'd never seen it or heard them before.

After checking out, we returned to the pool where I promptly lost all energy I thought I had. Did you know you can lay on the ledge of the pool and just barely hold on... as long as you don't fall asleep? You can.

Once again, I was reminded of how blessed I am to have cultivated and maintained the friendships I continue to enjoy. These girls challenge me, mock me, support me, encourage me, laugh with me, cry with me, advise me and love me. And I can only hope that I return these actions. I know some people never develop even one relationship that is as meaningful and as long lasting as those I have just described. To have such a multitude of strong, faithful, intelligent women is an incredible thing, and I hope I never take it for granted.

Love you, girls!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So fantastic!
I especially loved retelling stories from the night before because your faces were so filled with embarassment/pride, it's priceless.
Also, I can't imagine my life without you or these girls either. Thank you for keeping us all together all these years.

Laurie said...

You are very blessed to have those friendships, especially since not very many people stay friends with their old high school friends. Not that you ladies are old, at all. Love to all of you.

aubyn said...

I couldn't have said it better myself.
I heart my besties!

Laurie, we are old. I noticed this when sleep trumps staying up late.

holly gannett said...

YAHH!! That was perfect storytelling AND I love you too :)

Miss you already and can't wait to see you again, briefly, in August!