Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Men in my Life

Right now there is a HUGE storm outside: wind, torrential rainfall, hail, lightening, thunder and an ACTUAL TORNADO spotted in Billings. The siren was going off. Yes, that's right, the siren. The one that means "SEEK SHELTER IMMEDIATELY." That one.

So I called my dad.

"Am I going to die in a tornado?"
"No, you're not going to die. It's just a storm."
"Yeah, but the siren is going off."
"You're fine. Come on over!"
"Dad, I've seen Twister. Tornadoes pick up cars and shake them like dogs!"
"Oh, honey... they'd pick up a cow before they picked up you!"

Awesome. Here I am, ready to hunker down in the bathtub with my cat and a supply of drinking water while my dad makes jokes about the imminent death staring me in the face.

And then there's Seth. I texted him a video of the rain pouring out of my gutters and hail bouncing off the ground and lightening lighting up the sky - to show him how SERIOUS this was. His response: "Nice!" Not nice. I felt it was my duty to call and tell him so.

"Seth, there is a tornado watch! The siren is going off, and I'm freaking out."
"Really? Wow." (deadpan)
"I know!" (freaking out) "What should I do?!?"
"I don't know... get in the bathtub?"
"Seth, it's seriously really bad right now."
"You'll be fine."
"Ok, but you're going to feel really badly when this turns tragic. Deathwatch 2010, that's what this is. Deathwatch 2010."
"Ok, love you."

I did some research online and saw that a tornado caused "severe damage" at the Metra. So I told Seth. Then there was a flash flood warning on top of all the others, which I also felt it was my duty to tell him.

Our texts:
"Now it's a flash flood warning in addition to the rest. Not that you care."
"I do care. All will be well. There are two life jackets in the garage. I love you.

So much for that super nice Father's Day post I had planned about the men in my life. This is so much more accurate.


*Added a bit later:

My mother called to make sure I was alright (finally, a little SENSITIVITY in this family!). I told her I was ok, but a little scared. She calmed my fears like a mommy should. I admitted that as soon as I heard the siren, I ran to put on a bra, because God forbid I be flung from my home without proper support! She replied, "Yeah, but now you have those metal hooks on your back to attract the lightening."

Sigh.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I care! I care!
I really turned to Chris upon seeing the tornado and said, "it's a good thing Janelle is in Missoula right now cuz she'd be FREAKING OUT!"
He said, "Are you sure, we could go down there if she's home."
We care, and love you!

aubyn said...

My dad said, "wow looks like the Heights is getting pummeled." Granted we had no clue of what was really happening!

I'm here in my little unflooded basement apartment if you want to come over!


* my word verification is 'terders' awesome

Addie said...

Two life jackets! Metal hooks to attract lightning!

I'm laughing out loud right now.

But seriously, really glad you are okay.

Grammie Perrine said...

My first reaction would NOT be "put a bra on"...you AND your mom are hysterical....

Laurie said...

We do have a wierd sense of humor. And I would have gotten in my car to pick you up if you wanted me to. I love you. Thanks for the Target date today.