However...
I have learned so much. I've learned the effectiveness of consistency and positive reinforcement. It's a lot like that episode on the Big Bang Theory when Sheldon "trains" Penny using chocolate. A little encouragement goes a long way.
To help my guy with special needs, I have had to adhere to a very strict schedule. I've seen first-hand how calming a routine is to children. I've learned that when they come to expect something, and then it is provided for them, it's very reassuring. I've learned how this same scheduling and careful planning can improve my teaching as well. If it's in the plan: do it.
I've learned that the kids I love the least are the ones I need to love the most. Kids can sense when they're not liked. They put up walls just like the rest of us. I've learned that these stinkers are the kids who need me most.
I've learned how to advocate for children. I have seen a mother fight for her child's right to education. I've seen his list of doctors and procedures scheduled to get the root of the issue, and to help him succeed. I've heard her describe her binder filled with information, doctor bio's, backgrounds, and credentials. Only the best for her son. And rightly so. I know that people see the "crazy" side of this; that they wonder if she's gone too far. I know she's been described with a variety of negative phrases: pushy, crazy, helicopter mom. I've learned that if you want your child to have a voice, sometimes you've got to raise your own.
I've also learned the unconditional acceptance of children. When there were shout-outs or tantrums, the kids kept right on working, never glancing twice at what was truthfully, even freaking me out a little bit. The kids took everything in stride. They accepted his differences with grace and ease. It came naturally to them to help him; from inviting him to play at recess to helping him stay on track in class. These kids showed a patience and sensitivity that most adults are lacking. Thinking back on it now, I am in awe of the grace they showed this kid, and the love they all displayed in their little actions.
And then there were the kids who were so easy to love. The smiles, the hugs, the laughter. Now that it's all said and done, it's funny that I'm remembering so much more of the good than of the bad. I've learned a lot this year, and when you get down to it, isn't that what teaching is all about?
3 comments:
Good stuff Janelle! You are in the right profession. We are very proud of you!
Very good stuff. I wish there were more people like you, doing what they are called to do. You have a tolerance that lots of people don't have and you see your job as a learning experience for yourself. I'm proud of you and I hope the there are outstanding teachers like you when my kids start school.
Amazing. We all saw how rough it was on you, and I'm so glad you made it such a positive learning experience. You're the best!
Post a Comment