This eagerness was only amplified by the terror I experienced when I looked at my calendar for August. I will be in Pocatello from Aug 1-4, in California Aug 5-11, Kayla's wedding is the weekend of the 13th/14th, and then WHAM - school starts the 23rd. That will be abruptly followed by Aubyn's nuptials on the 28th. And don't forget about all the fun showers/bachelorette parties in between! When I looked at all of these blessed events, I was floored. It appears as if I have this week, next week, and a week in August to get things all ready. CRAZY.
However, after returning to school yesterday, I'm feeling much more at peace about the whole set up process. I only needed (wanted) to rearrange a FEW major pieces of furniture, rather than reinventing the wheel. By moving a few shelves around and receiving some new pieces, I was able to extend my classroom by about another 3 feet all around! I'm very excited about the new set up and about how quickly it came together. I will spend next week organizing books/teaching materials/random crap until it is kid-ready. The week before school in August will be spent lesson planning, decorating and writing their names on about one hundred different things, cutting, and laminating. Whew!
I'm really looking forward to the coming school year for a number of reasons. First of all, while I loved my aide, I am thrilled to have my classroom back to myself. I signed up for a Junior Practicum student from MSU-B, but that is very different than being watched every second of every day. Secondly, I peeked at my class list and recognized maybe eight names! This will be the most siblings (of former students) I have had in one class, and luckily, they are all wonderful families with delightful children. I am sure I will have my pills, but I'm quite excited to work with a few of these families again. Finally, I will have a new teaching partner this year. Deb, who taught me SO MUCH these past two years took another position within the district (luckily she will still be part time at Arrowhead), and she is being replaced by a young (my age) teacher who has been teaching for three years in another district. While I am bummed to lose Deb, and nervous to not have her there to coach me, I am thrilled to have another young, "new", excited teacher in our midst.
So, while it's sad to see summer wind down (man, this summer was amazing), I am already feeling back to school jitters and excitement - which is wonderful. I was afraid I was burned out, I wondered if I loved it as much as I used to... and I'm just so thrilled to have these feelings of anticipation back so soon!
1 comment:
Hurray! I LOVE that you LOVE your job!! I am available if you need any help, or even some paperbackswap credits....
Post a Comment