Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Fist Bumps and Face Slaps

Face Slaps:
  • Seth's first three rotations were announced (drum roll please): Pocatello, Pocatello, Utah! Which effectively put him away from home until Christmas. Enter shock, grief, anger, reluctant acceptance. Seth set up a meeting with his advisors and is working to reverse the "situation" or at LEAST try to assure that the rest of his rotations would have him in his cozy little house across the street from the Rock Man.
Wow! I can't think of anymore Face Slaps! That's incredible! Summer is glorious.

Fist Bumps:
  • One of Seth's former soccer teammate's mother (phew!) works at Riverstone health. Her position: SCHEDULING ROTATIONS FOR PA AND WWAMI STUDENTS. After finding this out, Seth gave her info to his advisors, and he is now one step closer to having those first two rotations changed from Idaho to Billings. It's not for sure, but it's at least a glimmer of hope.
  • Books! Since our last meeting, I've read The Scandalous Summer of Sissy LeBlanc by Loraine Despres (best read in a Southern accent), Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner (follow up to Good in Bed), Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffen, and half of David Sedaris' When You are Engulfed in Flames. I am also half way reading Janet Evanovich's latest Stephanie Plum novel.
  • Wedding plans! I've been helping a bit with invitations and other little jobs for Kayla's big day in August. Aubyn has also begun the planning of her special day, which is quickly approaching. In between the actual big parties are the little parties and subsequent planning: showers and bachelorette parties!
  • Lifelong Learning! I recently took a class on digital photography, which produced some fun results. This week I took a class called "Algebraic Thinking for K-3". I learned a lot of ways to extend my students' thinking from simple equations to major problem solving and strategies to find unknowns. I also thought I was terrible at math; turns out I tend to do math "long" rather than "wrong". I take the easiest (to me) route which is often visual or oversimplified. I learned the value of teaching my kids to generalize and am excited to amp up my math teaching in August!
  • Seth time! Seth came home for the 4th of July weekend. We hiked up to Sioux Charlie with Kayla and Bryce and were attacked by some sort of grouse. We had a BBQ at Ma and Pa's place, and just enjoyed each other's company in general. I will be heading up to Pokie in another week or so for an extended weekend, and again in August to help him clean his apt and move back to Billings (oops - so much for not getting my hopes up).
  • Knitting! I'm working on a new project with lots of help from Ren. I'm also trying a new stitch BY MYSELF for a bag for Kayla. It's tricky and time consuming and often very frustrating, but dang it, I love it!
  • Celebrities: I had a chance to meet Chaske Spencer, who plays Sam Uley, leader of the Wolfpack in the Twilight Saga. More to come when I finally load the pictures! Aawooooo (Insert wolf howl).
  • Summer!
  • Summer!
  • Summer!
May your Fist Bumps outnumber your face slaps as well!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So far so good. Your fist bumps are fantastic. I am excited to see these knitting projects...

aubyn said...

happy accounts!I hope at least he gets some rotations where you can see him on the weekends!
Way to go Wilsons, keep up the good work!