Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Monday, September 6, 2010

A Series of Adjustments: Part One

The last month has been one huge change, followed by a gargantuan shift, followed by a series of seismic adjustments. I've been absent from the blogging world because these shifts have required so much emotional investment, not to mention time, it's been hard to just sit down and regurgitate all of it for the world.

So, in a much condensed version, here is my August:

1. My husband is home! I went to Pocatello for a few days to help him move his belongings (which barely filled two cars) back home. While there was no "ceremony" to signify the importance of finishing his first year as a PA student, I could practically feel the relief and anticipation of all the students at the end of year BBQ as they prepare to begin the final leg: rotations.
It has definitely been an adjustment living together again. We are both insanely busy and pretty stressed as we each take on the unknown - him with rotations, me with my new school year. We have both changed over the last year, and are learning how to reconcile this new semi-stranger with the person we knew a year ago. I've always heard that marriage is hard, but it's been piece of cake for us - we've been "together" for TEN YEARS this November. I suppose it's about time we figure out what everyone has been talking about.
On the other side of that, I am SO FRIGGIN' HAPPY to have Seth home. I can't imagine the sadness I would have felt attending the various parties, weddings and events solo. It has been so lovely to come home from and tell him about my day - can you imagine?!? It's all the same things that I loved about getting married in the first place - going to bed with him, waking up with him, cooking and eating dinner with him, having coffee with him in the morning... all the seemingly mundane things that suddenly felt impossibly lonely when he left. I love him like crazy and am so proud of him as he continues to excel in PA school.

2. Kayla's wedding and subsequent move has been harder on me than I expected. Over the last year, she and I became sort of... LDR buddies *Long Distance Relationship*. The men we loved were far, far away, and we clung to each other like a hair to a bar of soap. We had coffee together, went to Barnes and Noble together, read our books on a floatie in the middle of Lake Elmo together, sat in mom's kitchen eating her food together.... we were kind of inseparable. And it was fantastic. We learned a lot about each other, and damnit, I love that girl. So when she moved... well... it kind of sucked. It helps to know that she was so excited to move, and to see how in love she and Jody are, but still, Virginia is a loooong way away. We've become texting buddies, and I even bite the bullet and occasionally show myself as "online" to chat with her on facebook. She will be back for a wedding in October, and Seth and I are already talking about saving up for a trip to the East Coast.

Tune in soon for part 2: Back to School and More

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent summary of the oh-so-challenging changes you've been through. The "hair on a bar of soap" was quite expressive and accurate.
Thanks for updating!

lanerdoo said...

Thanks for the candid update. It makes so much sense and yet never crossed my mind that a year apart might make a married couple feel like strangers again. What a plethora of changes you have gone through recently, I'm sorry your sister moved so far, far away, but happy that your hubby is there to fill in the gap again!

Kayla Powell said...

Janelle,

You. Are. Awesome.

I know I tell you pretty much everday, but I miss you! Hang in there, you've got the perfect guy and you two should just consider yourselves newlyweds again! That way you can have another honeymoon, and we can relate in yet another way. Do it.

Love!

Lindsey K said...

like a hair to a bar of soap... how articulate you are! I don't know your sister, but I did know Jody back when I was a young life leader at Senior. I never made the connection that your little sis was marrying him until I read this! congrats to them, and enjoy having your hubby around. distance is hard but it really does make the heart fonder!

Addie said...

I can only echo everything the above ladies said. Everything they mentioned struck me while reading, and I'm happy you get to reacquaint yourself with your beloved again!