Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Friday, February 18, 2011

A Glimpse of Things to Come

I am currently on day two of my "spring break". Rather than getting two weekends and a week for a real spring break, for some reason we just got an extended weekend this year - five glorious days off of work. I'll take it.

Day one included mainly reading. I read the first in an FBI profiler series yesterday and ended up checking my locks about every half hour to be sure I was safely secured in my house. I really liked the book, The Perfect Husband, by Lisa Gardner. I really couldn't put the book down and was totally intrigued.

I also finished up a few knitting projects that I had started the weekend before. Reese requested a knitted cowl, which I haven't done before. So I did sort of a practice run first for myself to match one of my new hats. It was a nice quick knit - probably the quickest thing I've ever knitted - and I discovered a few things I will do the next time around. For example, next time I would keep it one solid color and I will loosen it up a bit - this one is a bit constricting. Hopefully the one I make Reese will turn out ok.

I also accomplished something amazing for me. I ran two miles yesterday! I am not a runner. I hate running, actually. Yesterday, after taking a week off from the gym, I headed in, hopped on the treadmill and just decided to take it slow. I've been alternating running and walking for about a mile, then doing lifting, then heading back to the treadmill for a circuit type work out lately. This time though, I was feeling good so I just decided to keep on going. I walked a lap, then ran for TWO MILES and cooled down by walking another lap. I felt triumphant. That is a personal best for me (all you runners out there, don't laugh - it's a big deal for me!), and I was pretty damn proud of myself.

I am hurting all over today, but I'm determined to go in again today so I don't get even more sore. Oy ve.
The knitted cowl

Cowl unrolled with crocheted hat

Cowl rolled up

For Baby Gannett

Baby Gannett Earflap Hat

For me!

Baby Gannett's spring hat


3 comments:

lanerdoo said...

Way to go Nells! Two miles is nothing to turn one's nose up at.
I wish I could say that I could run 2 miles. I am proud of you, and the knitting is glorious.
You have been very productive on your mini vaca, good for you :)

Laurie said...

Awesome job on the running. I can walk 2 miles but not a runner. I am impressed. Cute projects.

Kayla Powell said...

Way to go, Nells! Keep up the hard work, your runnin' legs are screaming to be let out! :)
Great job on the knitting, too. I'm officially envious that I haven't even tried to learn how to knit yet. Kudos to you. Love.