Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

"Board" Out of my Mind

I have been struggling with the next section of my boards. I need two video taped lessons, accompanied by twelve pages of description and reflection (each). I do not fear the papers. I do not even fear the video tapes. I just didn't know how to get what I needed.

You see, these Boards people are vvveeerrryyy particular. If they had a closet it would be organized by season, style, color, and fabric. Most of my clothes are organized by "probably clean", "NOT clean", and "clean but too wrinkled to wear." We don't think alike.

The lessons themselves require several different elements. One requires me to teach speaking, listening, and viewing skills, use technology, and show the kids demonstrating speaking, listening and viewing skills... all while constructing meaning from text and including cross curricula information). Whew.

The video tapes need to be 15 minutes long, unedited. They need to include me teaching, my kids reacting to my teaching, participating, discussing and demonstrating knowledge. They need to show me interacting with the children and the children interacting with each other. How the heck do I find someone able and willing to do all of that?

My sweet mama tried. The only problem is that she doesn't know my kiddos. So she unwittingly zoomed in on the one dork who picks his nose and dreams of Pokemon while I teach. It wasn't her fault. I blame the boogers. I just needed someone who knew my kids, who knew my lesson, and who knew the anal retentive requirements of the National Boards Gods.

Finally, I managed to manipulate our schedules enough so that my teaching partner (who has passed these boards herself!) could come and tape while another teacher (who has a student teacher right now) covered her class.

Anyway... I have two totally usable lessons! The kids were phenomenal, and besides noticing how the camera really does add ten pounds (per boob), I performed pretty darn well myself!
I'm just so excited to maybe... maybe... have the taping done so I can move on with the paper writing!

I have to turn it all in March 31st. It's crunch time, baby.

5 comments:

Addie said...

Praise the LORD! I can't believe they expect to get all of that, unedited. Yikes.

And tell me about the camera adding weight. It doesn't go to my boobs though, just my tum-tum. :( It was rather foolish of me to marry a videographer.

Anonymous said...

Hooray!!!
Holy Crap, I know how much this was bothering you, I'm so glad the hardest part is done!
Pound out those papers and when you need a break, call Beckett and I :)

lanerdoo said...

wahooooo!
Glad for you the worst is over! Your rendition of the whole experience is quite amusing :)

Kayla Powell said...

Wow. I didn't even comprehend your third paragraph.
That's why you're the school girl.
You are ALMOST finished- and as a reward, you may come and see me! Yes! Miss.

(I'm just going to starting saying the word miss like we do Love from now on. Thanks.)

Anonymous said...

I forgot to tell you how much I LOVED the closet analogy here, and I keep thinking about it as I look around my house and can totally identify. Good stuff.