I show a Reading Rainbow video every year just to watch the kids' reactions. We do a unit on oviparous animals, and this video shows a chick hatching, the inside of a hatchery, the infamous egg-laying sea turtle, and the tiny baby turtles making their way to the ocean purely by instinct. I love it. While watching the turtle lay her eggs, here are some of the comments:
"A woman's gotta do what a woman's gotta do!"
"That was.... juicy."
"Maybe the egg is soft because otherwise it would hurt too much when it comes out of... when it comes out."
"It's not POOPING the egg, it's LAYING it." "What's the difference?" "POOP comes out it's... you know. EGGS come out its... tube thing."
I was preparing my kids for the book, Love you Forever by Robert Munsch. I told them that I remember my third grade teacher cried every time she read the book, but so far, I had managed not to. One little girl said sincerely, "It's ok if you do. We'll take care of you."
"Where are you from?"
"Here...Billings. Why do you ask?"
"You sound like you have an accent. But maybe you just talk funny."
Turned in at writing center:
"People hate mornings. People love coffee. People in the morning 'I REALLY DON'T LIKE YOU!'"
Hmm... wonder what mornings are like at HER house? Or was she referring to me? We'll never know.
1 comment:
I love it. Especially that part about you yelling at him better, because I absolutely cannot picture you yelling unless you were trying to outyell me at a Cat/Griz game.
You'd probably win. I cannot overemphasize my apathy on that front.
Kids are hilarious. Especially when they aren't yours. And especially when they are!
Post a Comment