I am serving on a committee to update our English Language Arts curriculum, and it has taken me away from the classroom quite a bit this year. My kids have done very well with all the substitutes, and I usually warn them ahead of time so they are prepared for a guest teacher. On Thursday however, I decided not to tell the kids because I wanted them to do a little writing project for me. The prompt was "What happened to Mrs. Wilson?" The kids had to write about why I missed school; what I was doing, wearing, saying, feeling, etc. The resulting papers are some of my favorites to date! Here are a couple samples:
"I think Mrs. Wilson is having a date with her boyfriend and having a party at a concert having fun. And she was talking and doing fun stuff. I think she is wearing rock and roll clothes. I bet it was fun. I want to be there. It sounds very fun. I wonder how she got there? I bet there were lots of people."
"I think she is in Belize. I think she is wearing a no sleeved t-shirt. And she is at the beach."
"I think she is on vacation in Hawaii. And she is wearing a swimsuit. Because she just went swimming. Now Mrs. Wilson is drinking fruit punch out of a pineapple! And having a camp out on the beach."
"I think that Mrs. Wilson is at a meeting. And I think she is talking sternly to other people and being very serious. I think she is wearing a beautiful dress that is purple (of course) and shiny black high heels. I think she looks stupendous. And I think she is talking about us. And I bet she is bored to death. I would not like to be her. But I really miss her."
*This one had a picture of me having a meal with someone. The speech bubble coming from me said, "I miss them." and my dinner date's speech bubble said. "Of course you do." :)
"She is at a meeting and she is at the hospital getting a baby. And in Hawaii getting bit by a shark."
"Mrs. Wilson is at a meeting getting something to teach us. Maybe something fun or something boring."
"I think she is at a meeting at Africa by an elephant in a circus on another elephant in a hotel in the office with a lion on a zoo with a big fat whale in space on Jupiter having a meeting."
"She is sick at her house. She is getting medince. That is bad. I wish she was here. That is bad. Seth is taking care of the cat. That is good. At the house. Mrs. Wilson is at the doctors. I wish that didn't happen to Mrs. Wilson. That's bad. I miss Mrs. Wilson."
Now tell me those aren't the sweetest, funniest things you've ever read? I love my kids!
5 comments:
Those are fantastic!
Stupendous and Belize. Wow 1st graders are smart.
These are great, your daily life in the classroom must be a hoot :)
Love. this.
My fav.... "I miss them". "Of course, you do," ...that is SO brilliant and insightful and a perfect snapshot of how your student feels so loved by you AND how much she (he?) respects you as a devoted teacher.... LOVE IT! Just LOVE IT!
Post a Comment