Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Fourth Trimester

I read somewhere that the first three months of a baby's life can be considered their "fourth trimester" because they are just as helpless (even more so it seems!) as when they were in the womb. I continue to find it bizarre that many animals can run within hours of birth, and our offspring take years of constant care, round-the-clock feedings and can't even hold their heads up for months! Silly humans! How did we get this far? If nature had it's way, antelopes would rule the world!

This fourth trimester has been such a whirlwind of change and emotions and triumphs and blessings. Looking back at Hamilton's pictures from when he was a true newborn, I'm blown away by how much he's changed in such a short amount of time. From a little lump of a newborn who we had to wake up every two hours to force feed to a babbling, wiggly, squealy, drooly little baby... it's amazing how quickly and how much he's grown.


He looks so tiny in his big crib! Since around 2 months, he's been sleeping in his own crib in his own room. Looking back, it wasn't too difficult to transition, but at the time it seemed like torture. We still use the sleep positioner and his Woombie (straight jacket) which I think help. Once he starts squirming, I'll secure the bumpers better, remove the moniter and the sleep positioner and keep my fingers crossed! He generally sleeps from about 9-4 and then 4:30-6. 
 Hamilton is now getting into his toys. He pulls them to his mouth, and gets excited when they are in eyesight. Boy, the things I'm proud of eh? He eats his toys, isn't he smart? :)

The little fella is strengthening his muscles with tummy time (getting less painful), sitting in the bumbo, and playing in the new exersaucer from Lane and Bing. 

 Crazy eyes are a Hamilton specialty. He looks like he's just crapped his pants about 80% of the time. Shock and shame. Just like his dad.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

He really has changed. I just love that little guy, and you guys are doing a great job of parenting. (of course, I haven't been there during the 3AM feedings though!)