Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Teething, Terror, Traveling



As I always say around this time of year, summer is FLYING by! Seth and I looked at the calendar to plan something, and wouldn't you know it, there are only five more weekends until school starts! The commercials have started, the displays at Target are up, and those excited/nervous/nostalgic butterflies are back in my belly. It's so bizarre how every year at the same time I start to get a hankerin' to get into my room and set up. All of my teacher friends have started pinning beginning of the year ideas, so I know it isn't just me.

Summer has been absolutely glorious thus far. I've spent my days relaxing chasing my boy around the house, catching him before he slams his head into the fire place (most of the time) and grabbing items before they make it into his mouth or break into a million pieces. He's a baby on the move! It's not even really the crawling/scooting that is causing all the action, but the incessant need to pull himself into standing position using whatever precarious item he can find. He LOVES to stand, and is now mastering the gentle fall back into seated.
This toy has been a life saver, as I know he won't knock out his only teeth when he bashes his face on it on the way to the ground. Also, we are all learning Spanish!

 Despite our best efforts to keep our son a baby, he somehow managed to turn seven months old. He's got two beautiful teeth on the bottom which he uses to gnaw on his hand, his clothes, his blanket, the couch, and often my knees. He also is learning to eat Puffs and even mushy banana all on his own. He weighed in at 17.5 pounds at his 6.5 month appointment, and is meeting all milestones on or ahead of schedule!
Pensive about this next stage of life.
Bananas in the mesh strainer (though disgusting to look at) are his favorite treat by far!
 I've been meaning to blog for a while, but we had an incident last week that took away our Internet, some power, and fried our TV. We were struck by lightning! It was absolutely terrifying! Seth was fishing (please contain your shock), and I was cooking while Hamilton was playing in the kitchen at my feet. Suddenly, there was a TREMENDOUS explosion/pop/burst of light that left my ears ringing. My first thought was that I had blown every breaker in the neighborhood, but I quickly realized it was an explosion of some sort. I turned off the stove, scooped up my baby and ran outside. My neighbor across the street was already running over to check on me. He said he'd seen the smoke coming from my roof and had been hit by lightning! The fire department checked things out, and besides some electrical damage, all was well. Terrifying, I tell you!
 What, no news crew?!? 




And finally, we went to Wisconsin! Seth's Grandma Evelyn is turning 100 in October, and it was very important to Seth that she meet her great-grandson. Seth spent every summer with his Uncles and Grandparents working on the farm, swimming in the lakes, and catching many a fish. He has wonderful memories of this place, and it was very satisfying and exciting to share that with Hamilton (even though he won't remember it). Grandma Evelyn could not believe how big and "busy" Hamilton was, and it was pretty neat to hear her sing to him and see her hold him.

 Hamilton was a champ on the plane rides, either sleeping peacefully or playing quietly. Our plane home was delayed until midnight, which cramped his style the NEXT day, but he was just exceptional on the planes, and I was so grateful.  He was also a delight in Wisconsin, playing cheerfully, getting into everything and antagonizing the animals to no end. I really came to the conclusion that we have been BLESSED with an easy-going, chilled-out child who adjusts well to changes and new people. Praise the Lord!


Petey the Giant Dog allowed Hamilton to climb on him, pull his fur, tug his ears, and squeal in his face throughout the whole trip. Hamilton had the time of his life!

Hamilton's first boat ride! I know, I know... his life vest! It's there, I swear. And he never left anyone's arms...but ok, ok, I get it. And I'm sorry. He made it though! 

 I have many more amazing photos from our trip, and when I have time and Internet, that will be another blog post. Seth and I relaxed, read, and bummed around. Seth fished every morning, and we all boated, swam in the lake and ate way too much. It was a very nice trip and deserves its own post.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sweet summer! Growing Hamms! Huzzah!

The Bennett's said...

Hi Janelle! Hamilton is SO cute!! Looks like you are really enjoying your summer. I just had a baby boy and I am realizing just how different he is then Lillian. I remember reading your blog a while back about Hamilton not sleeping in his pack and play well I have the same thing going on. He only sleeps in his swing! What did you do to get Hamilton to sleep in a pack and play?