I had a meeting scheduled this morning, so I went off to work early. These meetings can be a tad stressful, so I always buy myself a coffee before. I grabbed my coffee and was on my way.
Somewhere along the way, I felt the car "acting strangely". I know that that may sound vague, but trust me... for me, that was pretty intuitive as far as "car things" go. It was pulling to the right and just felt strange.
I worried that I had a flat, and reached for my cell phone. Nertz! The one day I forget my phone! This was not good. So I had a brief conversation with myself. I was about two miles from school, had no phone, and it was not even 7:30 yet. What would I do? I figured I could make it to school and deal with it there.
A few blocks later, I knew that things were worse than I had assumed. I knew I was close to my friend Karen's, parent's house. My new goal became their place. If I could just make it there, I could use their phone, park my car there, and maybe even bum a ride the few blocks to work.
I made it to the Anderberg's (barely) and knocked on their door. No answer. I knocked again. Nothing. *Insert swear word.*
About this time, the guy across the street came out to start his car, so I asked to use his cell phone, and told him about the situation. He obliged. Then he offered to take me to school, which I was reluctant to accept (I've SEEN those movies, thank you very much). I called my mom, called the school, tried to figure things out and get my head on straight. I'd missed my meeting and was near a break down when he offered to change the tire for me.
Ummm.. yes please?
He had to go to work, but his "friend" came out and took care of things for me! I was so grateful I was close to tears, and he kept saying, "Ah, come on! It's Christmas! It's the least we could do for a teacher!"
I made it to school (stressed, late, but made it!) and turned things around. It was a five smiley face day with the kids, and it was followed by one of the most delicious meals I've ever had at the West End Jake's.
Just goes to show that there are good people out there. I hope to stop by Gill and Scott's tomorrow with a bottle of wine and tell them how much I appreciated their help and the fact that they renewed my faith in humanity with a jack and a wrench (Right? Isn't that what you use to fix a tire?)
3 comments:
Aren't nice strangers the best?! What a saving grace! It sounds like you need AAA!
This post just made me happy! Thanks for sharing! I've had car troubles when my husband was out of town and I can't really think of a more helpless feeling. It's good to know you can trust (a few) complete strangers. :)
Jack and tire iron.
I bet one of the worst things is that without my phone, I don't know anyone's phone number. Bravo for keeping your cool. And Hip hip hooray for good hearted people.
Post a Comment