Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Lessons on Parenthood

Someone once told me, "You are the best parent in the world... until you have children." I do lots of "mental parenting" - I think we all do. I know that I am guilty of being that non-parent who shakes her head at real parents.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "You'll understand when you have kids," or "Once you have children, you'll know what I'm talking about." I understand that yes, some experiences I will have as a parent will shape my ideas about parenting. I understand that yes, there are some things that I will not or cannot fully appreciate until I have children of my own. However, as a teacher, I think there are several things that I am privy to that other non-parents may not be.

Mostly, I am learning what not to do.

Occasionally however, there are things that I file away in the ol' cabesa for later reference or use when it comes to parenting a school-aged child:

1. Teachers love treats.
2. Teachers need positive reinforcement as much as anyone. Tell us when we're doing something you like.
3. Support us. We see your kids in a way that you may not, in an environment very different than that in which you see them. Please trust us. We want the best for him/her too.
4. Watch your boundaries. I went to school for this. You parent/educate at home. I'll do it at school, thank you very much.
5. Be honest with yourself. Sometimes you need to adjust your vision of your child and love them for who they are, not what you think they should become.

Ok.

Off my soap box.

An excerpt from the email that started it all:

Thank you for working with _________ and know that you can send us an email, long or short, good or bad, to keep in touch. We will support you all the way....thank you!!


That's the kind of parent I want to be.

3 comments:

Addie said...

Me too.

aubyn said...

Parental control issues can certainly stink up a classroom. Hurray for Objective Reality! Your kid is the smelly kid. He just is. Face it.

Anonymous said...

Working in retail for as long as I have, I can somewhat relate to parenting from the outside(not nearly as well as you). I am guilty as well, but I love that advice.