As first graders, not many of the children I teach are technically "identified" as Gifted and Talented. To qualify for Extended Studies a student must first be recommended by either his teacher, his parents, or both, and then score a certain percentile in a battery of tests, including IQ, reading and math. Often, because our children are so young, the tests are not an accurate read of our children's capabilities. For example, a student may excel in math, but not be able to read or understand the question. Or, having never taken a standardized test before, he may just be confused by the fill in the bubble sheet, or even just become frustrated sitting for such a long period of time. At any rate, it's rather difficult to "qualify" as a kindergartner, which means that I tend to have a few students who may be GT learners, but I lack the resources to serve them appropriately.
But I digress.
The point of this post was to explain a revelation I had during the conference. As a child, I qualified for Extended Studies. I vaguely remember the teachers who taught the program, and I remember going to the Library to make a hover craft out of a hair dryer, paper plate and toilet paper tube. However, my mom tells me that every week on ES day, I would get a tummy ache. Apparently, I was painfully nervous to go to Extended Studies. I think this is because everything was always "easy" for me. I never had to struggle. I never felt uncomfortable learning. And when I finally did struggle, it was terrifying. This is pretty typical of what "they" have labeled "perfectionist learners". This explains why multiplication was (and is) scary to me - it was hard, so I quit memorizing. This explains why many teenagers skip out on AP English and honors math for fear of not receiving an A grade.
By the way, I don't consider myself GT. I pretty much leveled out after 3rd grade I think. I had to work hard for my B's in math and chemistry, that is for darn sure!
Furthermore, it explained some other non-academic issues as well. I thought back to when Aubyn invited me to go cross country skiing. I'm not athletic, assumed I wouldn't be naturally good, and was terrified to be the least capable. Same with hiking Mystic, with bike riding, and who knows what else! If there is a chance it will be difficult or I may not be "good" at it, I don't want to do it. Isn't that interesting? Maybe it's not to you - maybe you already knew that about me! Sometimes it takes a while for me to learn the obvious.
At any rate, I was fascinated to realize this fear of failure in myself, and I can see a few of my kids in a new light as well. The conference was enlightening for a number of reasons, but the exciting thing was that I learned something about myself as well as my students. Hopefully, now that I recognize what's driving my discomfort, I will be more able to confront it and handle new challenges with excitement rather than fear!
3 comments:
Great post! Introspection is a good spection!
I was in extended studies, but also in speech therapy. I wonder how I made it out alive.
This post has made me think of things I get anxious over because I might not be good at it. I get ANGRY at Super Mario because I am not instantly good. Stupid Mario! Doesn't he know there are things that want to kill him in those lands?!?
Self discovery is a funny thing. Thanks for sharing!
I get anxious at the unknown. I want to be able to plan exactly what is going to happen instead of taking it all in stride. I love that about our group of friends, we compliment eachother so well to balance out those quirks!
I am so with you. If I don't do it right the first (not just right, but PERFECTLY) someone will die. Probably me, but quite possibly the whole world will melt together like a box of crayons in the sun.
I have the very same fear of failure, which makes me awfully reluctant to try new things. I am trying not to be a fuddy-duddy, but I'm afraid it's not working.
Post a Comment