On Monday, Kayla and I carefully selected our CD's and hit the open road. We chatted and laughed and fought the wind all the way to Bozeman where we stopped by to see THE MOST HANDSOME BOYS ON THE PLANET - That's right: the Schuyler boys. Reese graciously allows us to pop in whenever we come into town to get the boys nice and hyper then head on our merry way. We laughed for a while them, then enjoyed a tasty lunch and brownie (below) at the Co-Op.
Fighting gusts the entire way, we finally made our way to Missoula, which smells just the way I remember (no - not patchouli oil, incense and PBR, but mountains and rivers and rain). We picked Jenny, dinner for the road, and hopped right back on the interstate.
With Taco Del Sol in our bellies and Jenny's superb Manic Mix in the CD player, we were unstoppable. Until we got to Bozeman, where we again, hyped up the boys for Matt and Reese. The interstate was closed due to aforementioned high winds, and so, with a bit of a delay, we rolled into Billings and right into bed (or I did anyway... I hear Jenny stayed up past TEN O'CLOCK that night!).
Tuesday night, we celebrated Pa Schuyler's 51st birthday. The wrapping paper was decorated with illustrations of things Dad loves: trains, flies, fish, cranes, etc. as well as famous Dave quotes: "The world would be a nicer place if people threw scones instead of stones," "If you need me, I'll be behind these cool shades," and so forth.
Happy birthday, Dad! We love you like crazy, you nutty nutty man.
The following night was spent at Kayla's casa, drinking tea, eating munchies and watching (gasp!) New Moon - as evidenced by our expressions, we had no idea this movie was about WEREWOLVES. Oops - spoiler alert.
Oh how we love each other!
Finally, I hit the road again, this time with Pocatello in my sights. Thanks to Jenn and Chris for lending me their Tomtom! Also, a special thanks to Seth's excellent "Janellified" directions. Phrases such as, "You'll go through a tiny ass town called Silver Star," and "Look for the big ass Budweiser banner" expertly guided me through Whitehall, over to Dillon and down to Pokie. The roads were ATROCIOUS from Billings to Bozeman, and again from Dillon to Pokie. I'm talking sweaty pits, white knuckles, music off, slush flying, chunk of my car falling off (truly!), scary driving. But I made it nonetheless! Whew.
This is an example of the road on the way BACK. So much better. And so straight! From Pokie to Dillon, the drive is straight as Ricky Martin - wait a minute, bad example - straight as um... someone really manly, and dry as a Las Vegas sand box. (?). Which is exactly how I would plan every road in the world if I was in charge. A boring ride is a perfect ride.

MY HUSBAND!
Seth and I ate at the one and only brewery the first night in Pocatello, then it was straight to bed (Get your head out of the gutter! He had school the next day!). Seth moved into a new studio version of off campus housing that is so much better than his last place. He is by himself now, and has a kitchen all to himself. Where he can keep BEER! I think he will really enjoy himself more this semester and relax a bit.
While Seth was at school the next day, I slept in late, read almost an entire novel, and basically was a huge waste of space. We went out that night with a bunch of his PA school cronies. He proved to me that their hang out, "Goody's" is NOT a strip joint, as I have been "joking". And we went bowling. It turned out to be a pretty fun night.
Seth and I relaxed the next day, I read another book, and then we went to dinner. We had a bit of time before our movie was to begin, so we stopped at a random bar and were frightened into ordering shots and drinks. We were SO obviously not the usual customer in this Mexican Cowboy themed bar, but we had a good laugh. Then we watched Sherlock Holmes (loved it) at the cheap seats and called it a night.
As always, it was hard to say goodbye, but wonderful to be able to spend time with Seth at all. Also, it was nice to put faces to names, and see the places about which Seth has been telling me for months now. I'm glad I got over my fear of getting lost in the crevices of Idaho/Montana and journeyed to Pocatello. Now I know that I can do it -and do it again I shall!
2 comments:
I think that you made the best of your spring break. I am so proud. You took two trips in one week and drove all by yourself. Mrs. Wilson has grown up. Thanks for letting me hang out too.
Bravo! What an exciting week. See? who needs Cabo???
Post a Comment