Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Welcome to my classroom!


Welcome to my classroom! For those of you who haven't been in, this is what all the fuss is about. One of my favorite books, Educating Esme: Diary of a First Year Teacher, is a memoir of a SPECTACULAR first year teacher in the inner city. This excerpt sums up EXACTLY how I feel about my room:
"The older teachers shook their heads, and told me my room looked 'overstimulating,' which means they are totally jealous because I have the most insanely beautiful classroom ever, of all time. Oh God! ... This room is so fun, it's sickening. I feel sorry for any kid who is not in this room." -Esme Rajii Codell
I hope it's ok to feel that way about a room. I love it like a friend.
This is the view of the front of my classroom. Right now the desks are in rows, but I usually prefer groups. It's so hard to fit 20 desks into the space that I have, though, so I'm working with some different combos before I find one I love. 
My favorite: The Book Nook, where kids can "dive into a good book." The whale was left by a mysterious donor with a note attached that said, "My name is Humphrey. I'm so glad that I've finally found a place to live. But I can only stay in the pool with kids who are quiet readers. Thanks for letting me stay!" And a book called Humprey the Lost Whale. 
                                                                        Math Center
Guided Reading 
Listening Center: I like the juxtaposition of comfy pillows and soothing books on CD with the fierce jaws of killer carnivorous creatures. 



1 comment:

Reese said...

Janelle
I do feel sorry for any first grader who doesn't get to learn in your classroom...it's wonderful! My favorite is the math center..teehee...second favorite is the reading pool - genius.