We have been busily working to complete gifts for the kids' parents (a calendar with an art project for each month), various Christmas "art" projects and ornaments, learning the songs and actions for the Holiday Program, and of course our academic obligations. Additionally, I was observed and evaluated - exactly one week before Christmas. It has been one helluva week, and I don't know if I've ever been happier to see a weekend.
On Wednesday, we had an hour and a half long rehearsal for the program. It was very cute and fun, and well done, but have you EVER seen a seven year old sit still for an hour and half? Me neither. After that, we marched all 80 first graders up the hill to our neighbor, St. John's Nursing Home, where we performed our songs for the residents. The kids were delirious with excitement at the prospect of our first field trip, coupled with the fact that they hadn't been outside in days. It was a lovely trip, and the residents really loved it. One of the other teacher's little girls told her, "That was pretty scary up there." And when Mrs. P asked her why, she answered, "Well, we were singing in front of all those dead people!"
The actual holiday program was on Friday, and we had to hold two showings in order to squeeze in all the parents and families. Friday was a doozy. In between programs, we spent the day completing projects, as I am suspecting several students to miss Monday and Tuesday. The problem with completing projects is timing - actually this is the hardest thing in educating, period. What takes one student 5 minutes to complete may take another an hour. So what to do with the early finishers? If they finish math early, they play a math game. Occasionally, they may do "free centers". I also put together a monthly packet that they must work on when they finish early, but because it is almost the end of the month, most of them are finished with this. So there was a LOT of "free centers" going on. Which isn't a problem, generally, as they are all academic and well rehearsed. It just feels so willy nilly, and I hate that. I told another teacher that I had never wasted a day (academically) the way I had wasted Friday. She reassured me that everyone's day had been like that, and sometimes it's just going to be like that. Ugh.
I love my job, as I hope you all know, but bear with me as I gripe. This week I had a kid cut his hair, one stole a candy cane off my desk (I don't care about the candy cane, but don't get me started on how upset I was that she had stolen and LIED about it afterward - it was in her mouth AS SHE LIED about it!), another one was sent to a the principal (a first for me) for an outrageous tantrum, and those are just the biggies. Don't forget all the coats I've zipped, laces I've tied, and thumbs I've tried to shove into gloves (I loathe gloves - please buy your child mittens).
However, it was all worth it when they hopped up on stage in their holiday finest and belted out their songs with nothing but pure joy on their faces. I was so proud to be their teacher - even if they are going to be the death of me.
2 comments:
Amen on the gloves. They are a tool of Satan.
I should make a blog post about "tools of Satan in my life." It would be long.
Yay for the weekend - hope it was restful!
Enjoy your "Winter Break". Come over and relax for a bit. Have a very Happy Birthday on Sunday.
Love Mom
Post a Comment