Christmas is officially here! Seth and I chose a tree last night (the first one we spotted even!, put it up and decorated it last night. As usual, Birdie is thrilled to have a new chew toy, and to be able to sleep in her natural habitat. The following is my documentation of the evening. I only wish that you could have heard me sing along to the Chipmunks Christmas song. Some things just can't be beat.
The stocking wars begin. My stocking was made by my Aunt Lorna - she made one for all of the Schuyler kids, and I think they are absolutely perfect. Be it nostalgia, the sequins, or the fact that it was made by my Aunt, I LOVE my stocking. Which should explain my shock when I saw the following:
This is a close-up of the reindeer (?) that graces (?) Seth's stocking. What's that? You want to see more? Prepare yourself...
Mmm-mmm-mmm! Nothing says Christmas like a green faux fur sock adorned with a haunted reindeer! The first time I saw it, I was appalled by it's hideousness, and begged not to display it. But as much as I love my stocking, Seth loves his as well.. so up it went. His was also hand made (shocking, I know!) by a family friend when he was just a baby (If you are reading this, oh family friend - I am so sorry you had to hear this, but... well.. it had to said). Last year, I tried to ignore it, and this year - I laughed. I guess it's growing on me. Eeek.
We did it! Note the look of success on our faces. After hours of rearranging furniture, we ended up with almost everything exactly the way it was before we started. Figures.
When my family decorated our trees when I was little, we would always have cider spiced with a clover-infused orange and cinnamon sticks to make it special. I attempted to recreate the cider, and served it in our hand-painted mugs (thanks to an addiction to Chameleon Arts and Ice Cream shop).
Another holiday tradition: embarrassing photo ornaments! Seth's is circa 1984, mine is one of the perks (?) of teaching first grade.
Here it is! The finished product. Our star was too heavy, so we topped our regal evergreen with a fitting token of unity, strength, and the holiday spirit: a Griz hat.
It actually worked out pretty well, as you can see above. The only annoying thing is that Seth and I cannot see each other when we sit in our respective spots. But whatever, I guess. I know what he looks like. :)
1 comment:
I see nothing wrong with Seth's tocking except maybe it needs a red nose.
Love mom
Post a Comment