Over the summer however, we were lucky enough to acquire some hand me down furniture from Seth's parents - a nice couch and a "love chair" (more than chair, less than a love seat). The futon was demoted to the office. This leaves our living room looking much more adult, but it also leaves us with exactly one square foot of unused space.
Sadly, this foot of space is the dead center of the room. Not where we were planning on placing the Christmas tree.
Conundrum.
Something must go. It can't be the love-chair (I live on the love chair) nor the couch (well Seth has to sit somewhere too, doesn't he?) Not the coffee table (God forbid we actually eat at our kitchen table - we only have one chair) nor the end table (where would I stack our bills?). Not the bookshelf (I need the Twilight series to be displayed prominently and proudly at all times) nor the TV (doesn't need a parenthetical add on, but it gets one anyway). And that leaves one wall. The wall with the furnace. I may only teach first grade, but I do know that putting a piece of timber within inches of an open flame is flirting with disaster.
Which leaves us with the center of the room. After all, we do need a focal point. I guess that's what you get for living in a duplex. I can literally vacuum from one corner of my house to the other without unplugging the cord. It works for us right now though. The more space I get, the more crap I get to fill that space. And the more crap I buy, the more cluttered I become.
How big is a menorah? Maybe it's not too late to convert...
3 comments:
I love your blog. It sometimes reminds me of my classroom even though I teach 7th grade. Your duplex sounds exactly the same as our apartment. The "office" now stores the futon and many other unused items. I jokingly call it the "storage room" when we have company. The living room is now too small with the nice furniture and "adult" like room that a tree only fits in the middle. Our solution this year was one of those decorative 2 foot ones that look like they are made up of ornaments so when we do have a bigger place we still have a decoration for the coffee table. Just a thought and good luck until Christmas
I can't wait to see your tree in the middle of the living room.
Love MOM
presents for aubyn usually fit under the tree no matter where it is. so stop stressing, friend. Laurie, that goes for you too. whoop whoop!
Post a Comment