I am currently up to 10,843 words - which seems like a lot. Really, it equates to about 38 typed pages (who knows what that would be in actual book pages?). I didn't work on it for most (all?) of December, and only picked it up after reading my sister-in-law's book again over Christmas break. I was inspired, I suppose.
It has taken another turn however, I've finally let someone else look at it, and comment on it. I will not release these names to the public, however, until their family has been notified. The feedback so far has been positive and encouraging. I am eagerly waiting to read the notes one such reader recorded.
Having other people read the story is... uncomfortable. I don't know what I want to do with the story, where it is going, or why I am writing it at all in the first place. I would be upset if they told me it was crap, but I don't know what to do with the praise either (and don't want false praise if it IS crap ). Tricky, you know? And so I gave the book to two people I love dearly and who I knew would say all the right things while providing constructive criticism. I hope.
The other tricky thing is that parts of the book are true - or based on true events. The main character is based on a friend from college and some of her growing experiences. So it's hard to alter the truth to make the story more interesting, or to alter the characters to fit the plot development. I'm trying hard to bend my memories to fit the story, rather than the reality of what occurred, but I remember things the way they happened.
I'll make you a deal - after I read the notes and discuss with my literary colleagues a little more on what I've done, I'll post an excerpt. IF... you promise to be sincere. (I wrote "nice" at first, but I'd rather you tell me what you really think - even if you have to do it under an anonymous name. So... sincere? Can we settle on that?)
What a funny little adventure...
3 comments:
I'm in. I can't wait :)
I'm very excited for this!
Im going to tear you apart, but Sincerly.
no no no not really. I have nothing but good feelings about this, and I am so happy you are doing it!
Post a Comment