Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Thursday, February 19, 2009

It all makes sense now...

Today a sixth grade student came into our classroom to run a little experiment he is putting together for the science fair. He had everyone put their heads down on their desks and then played a series of beeps at very high frequencies and had us (I participated too) raise our hands when we heard the beep. His theory is that younger people can hear higher frequencies than adults. 

He was right. 

Apparently I heard the first 4 beeps, while some kids in my class claim to have heard over 7. Eek. The good news however, is that I'm tied for the best teacher score (with the other 25 year old teacher). 

After he left, two of my kids were discussing the experiment and the results. I heard them trying to sort it all out, and this is their conclusion:

"The older you get, the bigger your ears get. So you would think you can hear better. But... the older you get, the older your brain gets, and pretty soon, it can't power all that ear."

So wise.

7 comments:

aubyn said...

Now THATS Science!

But really the steps to logical thinking are there, they just need more experience! Congrats, teacherlady

Addie said...

I need to pass this along to my father. His brain hasn't been powering all that ear for quite some time now!

Janelle Wilson said...

My theory: it has to do with ear hair build up. I'm not sure how to test this though.

aubyn said...

I think we test the ear hair by seeing if it floats, or weighs the same as a duck.

Dave said...

You have some very brilliant students. I like to call it.... brain fog.
Mom

Anonymous said...

That is so funny because Chris found a program for the iphone that does the same thing, and you should have seen my mom freak because she couldn't hear the beeps. She was literally almost in tears. I will be sure to educate her on why she couldn't hear them.

Janelle Wilson said...

She shouldn't feel bad; apparently kids in Junior High and High School are setting their phones to that high frequency. The teachers can't hear it go off, but the kids can and are in hysterics. Mutiny.