The day went extremely well. We started off by delivering all of the Valentines. And let me tell you, when you are six years old and forced to write letters you can barely form in a space a few centimeters wide, and then read it while 19 other people try to do the same thing.... it takes a while.
After a bit, we were all settled in. We did some reading, an art project, and read some poetry. Mr. B, my junior field, taught a lesson, and it went very well. He was totally natural with the kids and they were all enthralled with the story he read. He invited participation by asking for predictions, clarifying vocabulary... I was very pleased, and I think he was too. Last week I asked him to do a read aloud, and he made the observation that he was totally relaxed when he read last week, but because this one had the label of being a "lesson", he was much more nervous. I couldn't tell though, and more importantly, neither could the kids.
Finally, we did some Valentine Math (estimating how many conversation hearts it would take to fill the area, and make up the perimeter of a heart frame) and opened our Valentines. Opening Valentines is one of my favorite parts of first grade. The kids are completely grateful for their Spongebob and Hannah Montana cards. All I hear for about 20 minutes is "Thank you! You're welcome! Thank you! You're welcome!"
To end the day, my room mom organized the "party". Half of the class played Valentine Bingo while the other half made candy necklaces. Then the groups rotated so everyone was able to do each activity. After about 20 minutes at each station, we all enjoyed ice cream sundaes with all the toppings. And the best part? I did nothing. About 8 moms had everything under control. All I had to do was float around and enjoy my kidlets. It was wonderful. I was geared up for chaos and was greeted by calmness.
I know that I am insanely lucky to work where I do and have the students I have. Their parents are supportive and loving and appreciate what I do. It's after days like today that I remember how lucky I am to have that.
2 comments:
Happy Valentine's Day to you. I was wondering how your day went.
Love Mom
You are the best, great job! Too bad i didn't have a first grade teacher like you, i could have avoided some...well, rather sucky years!
Love, dad
Post a Comment