Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Poet and She Knows It

My school started a new "tradition" on Monday called "Eagle of the Week". Each teacher chooses a student who has done something positive and recognizes them for their achievement. They receive a certificate and get to place a stuffed eagle on their desk for the whole week. 

I chose a little girl this Monday because I am so proud of how on task she is during Centers. While most of the class is participating in literacy centers, I pull about 4 back at a time to do Guided Reading. Centers are a kid favorite, as it includes hands-on, game-like activities, but it can be very difficult for many kids to work independently for such a long period of time. H is always on task, is a sweet little girl, willing to help others, and (to cement the deal) wrote one of the longest sticker stories I've seen INDEPENDENTLY at writing center.

I wrote her mother an email to tell her the news, and she wrote me back, thanking me for recognizing H's propensity toward the arts. Apparently, she writes often at home as well. Her mother sent me the following poem, written by H saying, "You may enjoy it because it is so... um... H."

Here it is:

Angel's wings bright as pearls
Flying as they trumpet
Across the shimmering water they go
Bringing chests of gold.

Bells are ringing now
Across meadows filled with flowers
Bringing chests of gold.

Lighting up the world they go
Singing as they fly
Glory to the world
Glory, glory to the world.



Woah.

No comments: