When it rains it pours... and it's been pouring this week. I have been working overtime the past couple of weeks preparing for another round of conferences. This quarter, however, I am trying something new: student-led conferences.
Instead of sitting across from parents while their kids are at home with a sitter, the students will show the parents around the classroom demonstrating the gains they have made this quarter. There will be two families at a time, and predetermined centers. For example, at writing center, the students will show a rough draft, the revisions and edits made during the writing process and the final draft. They will also compare a piece of work from the beginning of the year and one that they recently completed. The kids will be showing off all their hard work in reading, writing, math, problem solving and much more. I think the end results will be well worth it, but as of right now, I'm ready to lay on the magic carpet, curl up into a ball with our stuffed whale Humphrey and cry.
In addition to preparing for student-led conferences, I have also been testing my kids for third quarter report cards and reading levels. Somewhere in the middle of all of this, my laptop began to act up. I reported it to our tech department, thinking someone would bound in, type some secret code, and I'd be on my way.
Nope.
They came in, worked on it for forty five minutes, then took it away to have a part replaced. As soon as it was gone, I realized that report cards are due IN ONE WEEK. And the template is ON MY LAPTOP. Luckily, that's why we have a server on which to back up important items.
You knew where this was going, didn't you?
Sadly, I failed to back up my report cards. I have been in panic mode for the past two days wondering what the heck I am going to do.
Somewhere between the sleet, snow, rain and sun today though, something else rained down from the heavens: it was a Third Quarter Miracle. The tech (although my computer was supposedly in pieces on his desk downtown) brought his flash drive to my class and downloaded the missing files to my substitute computer! Glory, glory hallelujah!
I'm still going a bit crazy with conferences, report cards and testing... but at least I know that if I stay at school all weekend... I might actually beat the clock.
Sigh.
5 comments:
You can do it. And praise God for flash drives.
Thank God for educators like you!
The conferences sound awesome. I would way rather go through a conference (as a parent) that way. bravo! Thanks for all your hard work!
I agree with Jenn, the conferences sound much more productive and informative than the traditional. Bravo! You can do it, and I'm waiting at the other end of the rainbow with beer....come and get me!
I have an idea, if you ever need a meal or help cleaning your classroom for these conferences, just call on your buddy aubyn. She will then ask someone else and maybe they can do it!
Oh, the glamorous life of a teacher! In about 2 months, school will be out, you will be free to do whatever you wish, and you can start drinking alcohol at any point during the day...nice.
Post a Comment