Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Make sure you have a minute... this may take a while.


Seth and I are back from Cabo, and to our surprise... we still like each other! We had a blast doing all the typical vacation things: reading (me), swimming, fishing, lounging, drinking, eating, and pretending we could speak Spanish. It's amazing how great you think you sound when you replace "tion" with "cione" and add an "o" to all nouns. We were soon expertos de el languago de espanol. 

We spent the first day just swimming. We dominated the waves on the beach, rinsed a few pounds of wet sand out of our suits, went to the pool, then back to the beach and so on. Seth had never been in the ocean before, and he was hilarious to watch as he attacked those waves head on. We were no match.  Sadly, on the first day, our camera also died. I never realized how spoiled we've become with digital cameras. It's horrible not knowing whether or not your eyes are closed. We bought a disposable camera, but most of the photos were not blog-worthy.

The second day, we went fishing with a world record breaking salt water fly fisherman. Seth desperately wanted to catch a rooster fish, and he had one on, but didn't get it. He did catch several Sierra Mackerels. And let me tell you, it never got old saying "Holy Mackerel!" each time he pulled one up. While fishing, we also saw tons of the Baja coast and whales.
                                   I made sure to meet a few of the locals while at the Marina.
                                                                         As did Seth.
The Guide let me throw a couple flies as well, and I caught three fish on the fly rod and finally earned Seth's love and respect. I also finally understand that there is skill involved in fly fishing. I just did whatever Grant and his co-captains Luis and Alex told me to do and WHAM - fish on. It was pretty satisfying.
Two of Seth's fish were so nice, Grant pulled out his camera and took a few pictures of them for his website. 
I did learn a few important things about myself while in Mexico: what is "romantic" to 99.9 percent of the population is overrated to me, and I am falling apart at the seams. Case in point: the beach. The first morning, we walked on the beach for about an hour. That is hard work. What is romantic about sweating and walking in ground-up rocks? Also, apparently I have extremely sensitive feet. The arches of my feet were swollen and raw from the sand, while Seth's were totally fine. Lastly, by the final day, my skin finally said "I hate you!" and revolted against me. Several years ago, my dermatologist told me I was literally allergic to the sun. It was only a matter of time. Luckily, it was on our final day; a fair price to pay for how much I enjoyed the Vitamin D.
                                                        Our hotel from the lobby.
One of the pools at our hotel had a pretty sweet water slide shaped like a whale. You really got cookin' on that thing too. Good times.

We also went on a "Booze cruise" as Seth calls it - a big boat with an open bar that took us whale watching, to the Arch, and snorkeling. Snorkeling was a blast and we saw several whales breach and spout, which was exciting. All that combined with unlimited drinks made for quite the experience.

The whole thing was absolutely fantastic. We laughed a lot and had delicious food. It was wonderful to spend so much time with each other and have so many "firsts" together. Thanks for all your well wishes, friends!


4 comments:

holly gannett said...

oh I am so glad you guys had a good time :) Lots went on when you were gone! Thanks for sharing your "honeymoon" with us and MAN I can't believe you really did have a reaction to the sun again, I didn't think that would SERIOUSLY happen-- I was kind of joking (hope it wasn't too bad)!

Miss you and we'll have to talk soon :)

aubyn said...

Congratulaciones on the vacacione! I also am quite fluent in Spanish.
I agree, melting the soles of your feet is not romantic. Not having to do dishes is maybe more romantic.... Sand can be your friend, but is mostly not your friend. You can always find sand in your clothes/suit somewhere, it gets hot, it blows in your eyes. Also Jellyfish, sting rays, and sharp rocks are not great friends.

BUT, Im not just a negative nancy! The fishing sounded great, and Im happy you got to 'get outta dodge' for a while :)

Anonymous said...

You and Seth were never the "run of the mill" romantics anyway! I am so glad you guys got to do this! I can just imagine how much laughing was going on, and what an excellent way to spend a honeymoon! A belated Congrats on the marraige... so, when do we get some babies, huh??

Reese said...

J~
Very jealous of your tropical getaway! I agree with Aubyn, not having to do dishes is VERY romantic...also free cable and room service :). We'll be in B-town this weekend - would love to see ya!