Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Monday, March 16, 2009

Isn't it ironic?

This is from a student-made book I found on my desk today at school (I've kept the spelling the same for irony):

SELLing
If you knowe how to spell cap once! I'f you knowe how to spell cap towce. I'f you knowe how to spell cap three times! I'f you spell a holle lot you will get reelee good at it! And once you get reelee good at it YOU WILL BEE AVLL TO SPELL! I LOVE SPELLING!

Isn't it great? And don't be alarmed - this student is doing things exactly the way she should be. Everything isn't spelled right, but our Word Wall Words (those we have gone over in class, like you, how, to, and, get, at, it, etc.) are spelled correctly. Also, the words that are misspelled are spelled using phonetics (stretching it out), and common spelling rules (the double e in "reelee", "bossy e makes the o say it's name" in knowe...all that jazz). 

I just couldn't pass up the irony of a book on spelling with so many invented spellings. Reading the kids' work is one of my favorite parts of teaching first grade, so I hope you enjoyed it as well!


2 comments:

holly gannett said...

Love it! :)

Anonymous said...

That is fantastic. I am jealous of your job at times like this.