Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Book Review: Good in Bed

I was reluctant to read Good in Bed, thinking that a book by Jennifer Weiner (author of several "chick lit" books) would be shallow and silly. I was quite happily surprised to find the contrary.

Good in Bed is the story of Cannie, a small time magazine reporter. She is dealt shock number one when she reads an article written by her boyfriend entitled, "Loving a Larger Woman". Cannie, an active, healthy, but yes... larger woman, is devastated. The relationship ends and Cannie is forced to deal with the fact that it wasn't her weight that drove her boyfriend away, but her own preoccupation with her size.

In the midst of recovering from the end of her relationship, Cannie is struck shock number two - sorry... I just can't give this one away. Her life is changed dramatically and permanently. As Cannie adjusts to her new lifestyle she discovers her self worth, her beauty and her place in the world.

Good in Bed was witty and moving. I was ready for a simple, shallow read, but this one proved me wrong. Cannie's story is one we all know so well; being uncomfortable in one's own skin, learning to love oneself before we can love another, giving up the past to embrace the future. All that good stuff. While it's message resonates with me, and it did choke me up a few times, I also want to point out how funny the book was. Great one liners make the book sail by and help combat the despair that could easily take over.

I loved Good in Bed, and was pleased with Jennifer Weiner's surprising depth. Good in bed: a darn Good Read!

4 comments:

aubyn said...

I hesitate if 'weiner' and 'good in bed' are on the same cover. Ha ha good job on taking a chance on it!
Do you own this book? Or is it borrowed? i would check it out if you were able to lend it out.

lanerdoo said...

All I could think of was, "weiner, weiner, weiner, good in bed, weiner." Glad you liked it though. This sounds like one I should read, if i get a wild hair.

Anonymous said...

I have always been interested in reading this, I think I will now. I'm guessing the second shock is a child. Don't tell me, but after I read it, you can tell me I was right. Thanks!

Reese said...

Aubyn and Lane...you make me laugh! Janelle, is her name pronounced "weiner"? Or is it "whiner" or "waner"? If so, pretty unfortunate last name :)