I made it.
The first day of school dawned (actually pre-dawned for me, I had so much to finish before the kiddos arrived!) clear and full of hope. I took a shower, put on my prettiest little school marm dress, felt a rush of nausea, took off the dress, laid back down in bed, felt better, put the dress back on, ate breakfast, nabbed a coffee and made my way to school. Phew.
Upon arriving to school I found (in addition to the many jokes referring to me arriving early for once) a beautiful bouquet of flowers! There were lilies and daisies and more arranged beautifully in a fancy vase with an anonymous letter wishing me a wonderful first day. I did a little detective work, and it was a fourth grade teacher, W. W is a young teacher like me. She started last year a week before school started and was handed a doozy of a class (actually, the class was fine - it was the parents who were the problem). She handled it with grace and humor and we have grown close. Last year she was so nervous before open house I left her flowers anonymously! W said she had facebooked Seth and asked about what flowers I like. She is very concerned about me now that my honey is away. I was so grateful for her generosity and selflessness, as well as her interaction with Seth, that I almost cried!
That being taken care of, I finished all the last minute preparations and headed outside to meet my darlings.
The children were rolling in, giant backpacks strapped to their tiny frames and holding hands of parents or older siblings. I greeted them all and met their parents. Everyone was charming.
We headed in and (thank God!) not one parent followed us in! I HATED it last year when the parents came waltzing in with cameras and camcorders to capture their child in their element and my first words. Too much pressure for me.
We began introductions and unpacking backpacks when one little guy (whose mother had told me he was extremely nervous) grabbed my arm and told me he really didn't feel well. As I patted his back and told him it was all going to be OK.... BLECH. The poor little guy puked. I grabbed the garbage can in time, and it was just a little nervous tummy, but he headed home. That was pretty exciting.
As the day progressed, I learned that I have several... "busy"... children. There were some who were so involved with their school supplies, their pencils, their nameplates, their neighbor, their shoelaces, their hair, their hands, their clothes, etc... that they had no friggin' clue what was happening around them.
Some wanted so desperately to tell me every minute detail about the past six years of their life, I couldn't get a word in edgewise.
Some (few) were quiet, calm and observant.
This year will be interesting. My little guy with the aid was fantastic. His aid and I made a great team, and he seamlessly moved into our classroom - much to the joy of his mother! It was the OTHER children that surprised me. Usually the first day is full of long silences and my happiest, most cheerful teacher voice.
Not so.
I had to lay the smackdown! These kids were more talkative than ... someone really talkative.
That being said though, there are some beautiful personalities in our class this year. Active, yes, but fun! I pray for patience, wisdom and love, knowing full well I will need all three this year. Thanks for all of your encouraging texts and messages, I know they helped the me through a very stressful day.
And away we go!

Science Shelf

The Book Nook (I give the Sitting Star about a week at the rate these kids are going).

Computer Center and Listening Center. Use your inside voice, or the carnivores will eat your face, dear.

Writing Center - I hope the blogging world is ready for the gems produced here!

Carpet time

Learning Pods!
Woo hoo!
3 comments:
starting school AND blogging with pictures?! You blow me away, Wilson. !
You rule. What a sweet thing to have anonymous flowers - I can kind of see why you made the decision to stay. You are tough stuff, lady!
Good luck with the actives. I know a gal who makes her twin sons (far more kinetic than OUR twins) run circles outside before church in the hopes they'll burn off some of that energy. Perhaps you should have an exercise nook shoved in some corner as well!
Maybe the exercise before class could be in rows... with specific marches and sit ups... and old fashioned salutes....
Or even better is little 1st grader Tai Chi. Can you imagine your figit-ers trying to calmly meditate?
Post a Comment