Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Friday, August 7, 2009

Book Review: Handle with Care by Jodi Picoult

Jodi Picoult is one of my favorite "go to" authors. Her books revolve around major social issues: teen suicide, missing children, abuse, etc. They generally involve lawyers and emotional court room scenes. She presents moral dilemmas that get people thinking.

I've read enough Jodi Picoult books to know what I'm getting into, and Handle with Care did not leave me disappointed. The novel revolves around a family struggling with the illness of the youngest member. Five year old Willow has Osteogenesis Imperfecta, or OI. Her bones are extremely brittle and break at the slightest disturbance. She is born with several fractures she received in utero, and continues to suffer traumatic breaks throughout her young life.

The story chronicles various character's viewpoints - another typical Picoult trait. Charlotte, the mother, sets off a surprising and heart-jerking turn of events when she decides to press charges against the woman who delivered Willow, her best friend Piper. Sean, Willow's father, struggles with the painful choices made by his wife and the suffering of his daughter. Piper fights guilt as she is presented with the possibility that she may have missed something early in Charlotte's pregnancy that could have saved the family grief. Willow's sister, Amelia, fights her own demons as she deals with being the "normal" child, often neglected by her parents and racked with guilt for not being able to help her baby sister.

The book brings up interesting issues, such as the use of amniocentesis to find health issues before a child is born and the importance of quality of life. The topic of abortion is brought up, as is that of adoption.

Finally, in typical Picoult fashion, the book ends with a twist. I will say that while the twist should have been a surprise, I was a little disappointed; it felt like a bit of a cop-out.

Still, all said and done, I enthusiastically recommend Handle with Care. I read the whole thing cover to cover during the drive to Wisconsin. I laughed, I cried, all the things I love to do while reading.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

aubyn said...

I bet everyone dies in the end. It is the ultimate cop-out.