
David Sedaris visited Billings a few weeks ago. He spoke at the Alberta Bair. I remember thinking something along the lines of "Sounds familiar.... hmmmm." Turns out, it sounds familiar because David Sedaris is the author of a hilarious book, Me Talk Pretty One Day.
I deeply regret missing Mr. Sedaris. Firstly because he is an author, an author I have grown to really enjoy, and I am an aspiring author... emphasis on the "aspiring" part. It would have been great to hear his point of view. Secondly, because this book is hilarious, and I'm positive Mr. Sedaris would have been as well.
Me Talk Pretty One Day isn't really about anything. It is a memoir of a man, told one strangely titled chapter at a time. From his lisp and the resulting speech class to guitar lessons with a midget, to an entire chapter (titled "Big Boy") about a turd, to a detailed account of his years on crystal meth as an 'artist', Mr. Sedaris does not disappoint.
To prove my point, I'd like to leave you with a quote. If you don't like this, chances are, you won't like the book. If you do - grab it today!
This one reminds me a bit of a scene in Zoolander -
Discussing the irrational thoughts of artists on crystal meth:
"This led to an epic shouting match in which we exhausted all our analogies and then started all over again from the top. 'We're not your puppets or little trained dogs, willing to jump through some hoop. What, do you think we're puppets? Do we look like puppets to you? We're not puppets or dogs, and we're not going to jump through any more of your hoops, Puppet Master. Oh, you can train a dog. Stick your hand up a puppet's a** and he'll pretty much do whatever you want him to, but we're not playing that game anymore, Herr Puppet Meister. We're through playing your tricks, so find someone else.'"
There is more wit than I can give it here on this blog, so I hope you give it a chance. LPNSFMM (Language Probably Not Suitable For My Mommy). Enjoy!
3 comments:
I read Naked and thought I! was on meth. It was weird!
(Naked is also written by Mr. Sedaris)
I find DS much more funny when HE reads his material than when I do. He's a regular on "This American Life," which I subscribe to on iTunes, and I know I'd enjoy his audiobooks more than I enjoyed reading his books myself. From experience.
I am also sad that I missed him in Billings. Would have been hilarious and horrifying, I'm sure.
Post a Comment