Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Hamster Joke

One of my students experienced the death of her hamster the other night, and was visibly upset all day. She would be fine, then suddenly I'd find her crying softly at her desk about her beloved hamster, Rascal. We sat on the pillows for a bit and celebrated the life of Rascal while the class was busy with a math game. Poor little thing.

I feel her pain. I remember being shocked in third grade when I found out that my cold hearted mother wasn't considering chemo for my hamster, Fluff. Sigh.

At any rate, the next day, we were reading a story about a turtle crossing the road. The student piped up and said, "You know, if my hamster would have gotten run over instead of just gotten dead, he would be called Rascal Flatts."

Laughter heals the pain, doesn't it?

3 comments:

Reese said...

LOL. I lost MANY a hamster to various deaths. I hope Aubyn comments about her beloved hamster, Esther, and her untimely death :). Looking forward to pre-Thanksgiving, too!

Addie said...

My cat was the cause of one of Reese's hamster deaths, and that sweet girl is right: Laughter IS the best medicine!

Dave said...

How many hamsters did we lose to an untimely death? Some lived way to long....
Love your cold hearted mama ha ha