Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Saturday, November 7, 2009

GNO!

Sometimes things just fall into place. Jenn, Karen, and Aubyn and I had mentioned a month or two ago how nice it would be to take a little trip. With our different work schedules, family obligations and generally busy lives however, we really didn't know when (or if) this could happen.

Then, a few weeks ago, Aubyn received an email about a special being run by Chico Hot Springs. It was called GNO (Girls Night Out) and included a great rate on a room and a free martini for all guests. They had us at Martini.

Somehow, we were able to choose night that would work for everyone. The only catch was that it couldn't be a Friday or Saturday to get the special rate. In all honesty, I think all of us were pretty pumped about taking off a day of work. Sadly, the Thursday we wanted to leave was my late night for conferences, and I had to stay at school until SEVEN. In the EVENING. That couldn't deter us though; Aubyn and Jenn took off around 5, and Karen was kind enough to wait so we could ride up together.

The GNO was all that I hoped. We got to the room, enjoyed our free martini (Pear!), changed into our swimming suits and soaked in the "hot wada" until they kicked us out. Jenn forced me to put on pants (no jammies allowed!) and we all fought the urge to sleep and headed to the saloon. We had the saloon practically to ourselves and enjoyed great conversation and a few adult beverages.

In the morning we indulged in the breakfast buffet, checked out, and went right back to the healing (?) wada. Here we learned about Jenn's very surprising (slightly irrational?) fear of Sasquatch. We talked and talked and talked and talked and swam and talked and talked and floated and talked and talked and talked and talked... it was glorious.

Aubyn extended her vacation to visit Hansiepoo in Bozeman, which left Jenn and Karen and I free reign on the ipod(s). We are freaking awesome singers. There. I said it. Jenn's got the heart and passion of Celine Dion and Aretha Franklin combined. Karen can harmonize to anything, and me? Well... I can imitate a mean fiddle. At one point I even said, "You know, I don't think we needed to go to Chico at all. I would have been totally content to just get in the car and ride and sing for a few hours with you girls."

It felt so good to put aside the conferences, the report cards, my students, my dirty dishes, the pile of laundry, all of those daily stresses, and remember how important my friendships are. These gals have kept me afloat in the midst of a very difficult year, including an absent husband and the most difficult school year I have ever experienced. They keep me grounded, they keep me laughing, and they keep me thinking. We have memories stretching back decades, and we hope to keep making them for decades to come.

Well played, ladies. Well played.

3 comments:

Grammie Perrine said...

Yeay for Girls Night Out! Jealous? Well, yes I am! Whoop Whoop for good friends and FUN.

aubyn said...

I love my girlies! What a great getaway

Anonymous said...

Celine Dion AND Aretha Franklin?? I'm flattered.
I want to do that again very very soon.