Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Saturday, September 13, 2008

From the mouths of babes...

Every so often, one of my students says something that cracks me up. Or horrifies me. When this happens, I try to write it down so I can remember it. So, here is a little compilation of some of the strange things I have heard over the years. Enjoy.

"Did you know that 10,000 years ago, woolly mammoths RULED THE WORLD?" boy, 6

"I bet if we had a tornado, the principal would run around like a free range chicken." boy, 6

"I can't read right now. My eyes are too sour." boy, 6

"Did you know that in California, men can marry other men? I think I'm gonna do that." boy, 8

Me: "What do you want to be when you grow up?"
Boy, 6: "I just want a mustache."

"You know that show where fat people stand in their underwear? That's inappropriate. And gross." boy, 6 (talking about the show The Biggest Loser)

"He threw up right at me! But he missed and hit the lunch table." boy, 7

"What do you like better: mastiffs or wieners?" boy, 7

Conversation between me and a 6 year old girl:
Girl: "When do you go to the bathroom?"
Me: "When you are at recess or lunch."
G: "What about the days that you have recess duty?"
M: "I hold it until I get a chance to go."
G: "I hope you don't have an accident. That would be embarrassing."

After discussing the various ages of their parents, the kids asked me how old MY parents are. I told them, and one of them exclaimed, "Wow! Your parents are young old people!"

Another conversation:
G: "What's your favorite color?"
Me: "Purple."
G: "Screw you!"

"My dog has a date tonight. She's getting 'doggy married' so we can have puppies." girl, 7

"Do you play tennis?"
"No, why?"
"I saw your name on my dad's racket."
(His dad has a Wilson racket.)

There is more where those came from. Every day is interesting in first grade!




5 comments:

holly gannett said...

I love it! Thanks for the update :)

Dave said...

Mrs. Wilson,
I have always loved your stories and am glad you are writing them down. Love you.
Mom

Addie said...

Mrs. Wilson, I promise never to end a sentence in a preposition. Here. Also, SCREW YOU!

I love laughing out loud at my computer. It's rather awesome.

Janelle Wilson said...

Addie - glad I can return the favor. Lord knows I've done it often while reading your work!

Mom - thanks. I love your face.

Holly - you're welcome.

naomi said...

these are so funny and i bet you have a ton more! glad i found your blog, keep it up!