Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Open House, Open Minds

Tonight is the night we've all been dreading. No? Just me? 

Open House.

Call it what you will: Open House, Back to School Night, Meet the Parents, Meet the Fockers? Tonight is the night where I am graded on MY performance. By doctors. And Lawyers. And parents of families of 13 who have been doing this for YEARS,  and trust me, are much better at it than me (as they are more than willing to imply). 

Generally, I'm not too bothered by it. Luckily, as a FIRST grade teacher, most of the parents just want to be sure that their child is happy and loved. And I think I do a pretty good job of that, if I do say so myself. It's when they get into the upper grades that the parents start freaking out about grades and performance. Because as we all know, our performance on the IOWA Basics in 4th grade (now the NWEA's) defines who we are today. Am I right? :/ 

I'm writing this in my 20 minute stop at home before I return to school for a quick dinner with another teacher, then we hide in the Teacher's Lounge until That Time. It has been a CRAZY day. We had to tie up all the loose ends so the class looked nice, clean desks, paint, oh - and did I mention I actually TAUGHT today too? And yes, today a mother of a student decided to "pop in" and watch my math lesson. Just sit. And watch. Really, mom? Today? Yeah. Sit down and watch, but for God's sake, cut out this laminating!!

But I digress. Another story for another time.

Well, my twenty minute recess is up. I will update you all when it's over. I apologize for any grammar or spelling errors. This is a type and run. Aren't I dangerous? Livin' on the edge!





3 comments:

Dave said...

Dear Mrs. Wilson,
I too was one of those parents who liked to pop in to observe. They aren't just checking on you they are also checking on their precious baby and how he or she is doing socially in class. I am sure that if you would have asked the parent to cut something out, they would have been delighted. I would usually send a note to the teacher in the morning to warn her that I would be visiting.
Love your anonymous mom.

Janelle Wilson said...

Agree to disagree.

Love you!!!

holly gannett said...

I would like to say that I will not be one of those mom's but I guess I can't promise anything... I guess we will see. Becoming a parent makes you crazy :) haha.

Love you. h