I seemed to moan a lot the last few months of school this year. There were days this year when I wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing, or if I was the "good" teacher I thought I was. My class this year contained several more behavior issues than in the past, with less sweetness to cut the bitterness. My rose colored glasses came off this year, and I was sighing with relief as the year came to a close.
However....
There is nothing like the last day of school to remember why I love teaching, and how much I love each of the children in my class. When the desks and curriculum were pushed aside, I was reminded of how much fun we had as a class over the school year. As I passed out specialized awards, I was reminded of the gains the kids had made - academically and socially. As we turned up the radio and had a dance party, I was in tears laughing at the break dance moves and holding back the laughter while I watched one version of Riverdance that wasn't SUPPOSED to be funny.
We lined up outside to cheer on the sixth graders on their final walk (I call it the gauntlet), and one little girl in particular would not let go of me. Her mother sent me an email that morning thanking me for the wonderful year, and asking reassurance that she would have a nice teacher next year, as she was expecting some heartbreak when we said goodbye. True to to her predictions, the little girl gave me the longest, saddest hug I've ever had. She was holding back the tears, and I was touched to see how much she cared about me. After cheering on the older kids, we sang our Goodbye Song one last time, was smothered with a twenty kid hug, and sent them on their way.
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't close to crying.
I guess I just wanted to reassure you all that despite my moaning this past year, I LOVE teaching, and I love the children I teach. I cannot imagine doing anything else with my life.

Daisies I received on the last day of school from a parent. These were the same flowers used in my wedding.

These flowers came in an adorable Sigg water bottle from another parent. I LOVE it. What a cute idea!
1 comment:
You have one of the toughest jobs in the world, methinks.
I think the mixed feelings on the last day of school is a lot like birthdays. Sorry to let go, happy to look foward, and the change is a little bit scary!
Also, birthdays should include dance parties! ha ha ha
Post a Comment