I worked at CARE last summer as an assistant site director. I worked under several people - two site directors and our boss. I "applied" for the same position this summer (by applied, I mean emailed my boss and asked if he would take me back), and was offered the position of afternoon site director. I wasn't sure about the whole "being in charge" bit, but when he told me the hourly wage, I was in. I'm a sucker.
So now I'm in charge of 60-70 kids and 5-6 staff members for 6 hours, 5 days a week. I love the actual job part. I love being paid to go to movies, visit places in MT I should have gone to a long time ago, play card games and kickball, go swimming, and meet all those hilarious kids. However... I don't like being in charge. I don't like "bossing" other adults around. I don't like dealing with grumpy parents, naughty kids, or immature staff.
It's a learning process for sure. I'm learning how to choose between the little things and the big ones, how to soothe adults who act like children, how to tell people what to do and how to do it without sounding demeaning. I'm learning that when I'm the one that has to step in and discipline every time, I'm not everyone's favorite teacher. I'm learning that field trips are not fun and exciting when you're in charge - they are stinking scary.
Now, that isn't to say I don't enjoy my job. I DO. I get a kick out of the kids, the staff (minus that one chick) is AMAZING and highly qualified, and I'm doing things everyone should take the time to do while living in Montana.
But I AM glad that it's a job share, and I will be done July 17th. There's nothing like a light at the end of the tunnel to keep you truckin' along. Woo hoo!
1 comment:
Yay for your exposure to management. Double yay for not having to do it forever.
Post a Comment