Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Calling all Nerds



I can't believe it. I'm actually doing it. I'm going to write about Twilight. In one of my longest and strangest posts yet.

As many of you know, over the summer I was completely obsessed with the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. Seth's sister, Gaaby, had recommended them several times to me, and I waved her off. "Vampires? Um, thanks, but no thanks. That is not my kind of book," I told her with disgust. Doesn't she know me AT ALL?

Then one day at Target, I see that book - that alluring, eye popping cover - on sale. What the heck... it can't be THAT bad.

I didn't talk to another person for about four days straight. I was glued to the book. And really, I can't even tell you why. It's a love story (a HOT love story) with the age old themes of forbidden love and falling for the bad boy, and needing a knight in shining armor - all those cliches rolled into one GLORIOUS book (followed, of course by three GLORIOUS sequels). 

And whenever someone would ask about it, I'd be very ashamed quite frankly. A book about vampires. Come on! But, the more people I told, the more people I found who agreed with me... which led to me lending out all the copies I had - like a drug pusher, pedaling my wares to some unsuspecting victim, knowing that one taste would lead them right back to my doorstep begging for more! Wa ha ha ha ha! It was intoxicating.

And then... it finally came. The last book. Breaking Dawn. I'd been waiting for this one. I bought it, and WAITED a week to read it so I could read the whole thing in one sitting on a plane ride. One word sums up my collective experience of the final installment: disappointment. All the pain and horror and suspense built up by the last three was ended so... conveniently! I was entirely let down. She might as well have ended the entire series with, "And then she woke up to realize it was all a dream!" Cop out. 

However, my love for the first three books never waned, and I waited patiently for the next installment: Twilight the Movie. My obsession had softened to more of a subdued interest, as I was trying to keep expectations low. Past experience has proved that the movie is never as good as the book. After seeing the cast, I was sure that there was NO way that actor was as painfully gorgeous as Edward had been in my mind. Disappointment.

HOWEVER...

Last night, after a dinner with a table of Twilighters (the majority of them born BEFORE 1980) which included a Twilight quiz and several Edward vs. Jacob debates, my fears were put to rest. 

Hellooooo Edward.

The movie was all that it could be, considering it is based on a novel aimed at teenagers and revolving around mythological creatures. What I mean by that, is that the dialogue was so cheesy, my sister and I literally gasped in embarrassment a couple of times - or was that the acting? Either way, we would glance at each other during the worst lines with looks of horrified pleasure (if such an emotion exists) and then turn back to the movie. The special effects elicited about the same response - sort of a "really?" type of thing. But it was somehow absolutely perfect, and all that I'd imagined. Maybe because all of those things were completely overshadowed by the chemistry between the characters, intensified by the fact that if he kisses her SHE WILL DIE. Which is, of course, EXACTLY what makes it so great when he kisses her anyway. Ahhh... to fear death by kissing again! Those were the days, am I right ladies?

In closing, I must of course, recommend the BOOKS to all of you. You must read first, then watch. The book is ALWAYS better. The only thing about the movie that makes me sad is that now I can't remember what Edward looked like in my head - all I've got is that smoldering image of the actor's stunning features burned into my brain. Then again, it's hard to be sad about a thing like that. 

Alright. This post has gone on quite long enough. I know I should be embarrassed for even admitting my passion for this cliche book and becoming "one of those people" for writing about it, but I AM NOT ASHAMED.

Ok, maybe a little.




8 comments:

aubyn said...

I came a running when you put out a call to all nerds. Woah, I was on a different track. While Im glad you enjoyed the Twilight series, I was expecting something about Fractals on Nova...

But, a girl has gotta do what a girl has gotta do. Ill let my secret out, too. In high school, I really enjoyed Buffy the Vampire slayer. Yep. and since I haven't seen them all, they are in my Netflix cue. So, yeah, my dirty vampire secret is out, too. No judgment here, friend.

Dave said...

You are a true nerd, with a gift of writing movie reviews...maybe another career for you?

Addie said...

All right, all right.

I would love to borrow these books from you. I can't bring myself to buy them, but I read several of the "Interview with the Vampire" series and really liked them. Also, I enjoyed Buffy too.

We can all hang out together. No shame.

Dave said...

Janelle, you and a million more are sick! "I vant to suck yur blood" (just kidding, and this is Laurie)

aubyn said...

Laurie, you sound just like a vampire! Pot and Kettle, my friend. Pot and Kettle.

Janelle Wilson said...

Wowza! The post I almost didn't post has garnered the most comments! Kudos, people!

Aubyn: I have never seen Buffy, to be quite honest. But I appreciate your support, as well as your interest in blood sucking villains.

Pops (I think): Why thank you! I'll add it to the list you have made for me. :)

Addie: I would LOVE to lend you the book, but a coworker beat you to it. Sorry, Charlie. But you can be next on the list?

Mom: Excellent vampire impersonation. Have you been practicing?

Aubyn: You callin' my mama a pot? Why I oughtta...

Anonymous said...

Hip Hip Hooray

naomi said...

so, i noticed this post a few weeks ago and have just finished the first book minutes ago. i loved it and have a million questions. are the last 3 books as good as the first? i have to read them no matter but need someone to talk to about it! anyway, just needed to share some with someone who would understand.